Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles > Mann Accuracy Device
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 02:05 PM

Default Mann Project Part 1 The Stock

Well the Mann project is coming along. I decided the only way to go was to cut and carve out a custom stock. The reason for this is I wanted to not modify the MAD and be able to reverse it to collectible condition on a whim. I also wanted to leave the ring on. Last I wanted it to be a drop in when I was done. If it turns out well there will then be more cut to the same specs.

I decided to use a great piece of maple instead of walnut for 2 reasons. First it is half the cost. Second, I think it will look awesome with the stainless barrel. I have a stainless Remington barrel on an 03a3 receiver.
I am going to post some pictures in a minute if I can outsmart this thing. LOL! This is of course the first rough in with a lot more work to do. My friend Chris out at Walnut Grove Stocks did an awesome job cutting this for me so far.

Last edited by mdshunter; 10-21-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: photos
Old 10-23-2012, 06:39 PM

Very nice! I'm looking forward to following your progress. I looked at one at the North Store for a few months. I really liked it but just couldn't justify the price. I'll probably be sorry.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:29 PM

WOW! That's way nicer than the Turkish Mauser Stock or 1903a3 Scant stocks I am currently entertaining using.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:37 PM

I spoke with you at the NS this morning about your Maple stock if you remember. Looks like a nice piece of wood. Will be interesting when you have completed the project... Jeff
Old 10-27-2012, 02:15 PM

Hi Jeff, I am glad you think I am going in the right direction. I fell in love with this piece of maple as soon as I saw it. IMHO it will be awesome with the all stainless barrel as long as I don't screw it up! My memory is still terrible from the medical issues. As such I have lost and need to relearn just about every skill set I had. My concentration is about that of a 5 year old and I get easily confused. As such it may take a bit longer than I would like. If I get too frustrated I will pay someone to do it but do not really want to do that. I wish some of the other guys who did builds would chime in here. I am like the hard drive on the original forum that crashed. The information is still there somewhere it is just trying to access it that is the problem. My main concern after I hog this thing out in the final stage is the bedding. I think it will need bedded from the ring back for support. I have only seen one other build and it went a totally different direction. So some help guys? Suggestions?

Bubba, The scant stocks will not work well. I have a nice CMP stock that I originally thought I was going to use. You just can not hog out the barrel channel enough to accept the barrel and ring. You would then have to cut the stock off back by the ring at best. This then leaves the problem of support again. Just those 2 screws in the 03A3 receiver are not going to be enough to support that barrel. At least I don't think so. Bedding it might work, but I was afraid it just wouldn't hold up. I am toying with the idea of an oversized hand guard and making custom 03 type metal. I don't know if it would look cool or like a water color that got rained on. What do you think?

Last edited by mdshunter; 10-27-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-29-2012, 10:58 PM

I have pretty much decided to leave the stock its natural color. Although I will not stain it, it will get finished like normal. What do you all think? Good, Bad, or Indifferent?
Old 10-30-2012, 06:30 AM

Do your stock the way you are most satisfied. You will be using it, and I think it will look great whichever way you take it. Jeff
Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 AM

Default Progress report?

Have you made any progress on your project? B-3-6
Old 07-04-2013, 09:22 PM

For a nice curly maple stock Track Of The Wolf sells AQUAFORTIS Reagent. The original "stain". Here is a link:
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego...2/1/AQUAFORT-2
Old 10-04-2013, 10:21 PM

Thanks that sure beats doing it the hard way! Now I have to just wait for it to be in stock again or go the old school route. I would much prefer this stuff as it is so much easier and consistent.