Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM21 View Post
the solution is to make it a Law that M14s are exempt from the machine gun trap. Find a pro gun congressman who will attach it to a omnibus spending bill that the Dems REALLY want. Done.
Goodness, why didn't I think of that?

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 04-29-2021, 01:35 PM

I think BATF's technical branch would have to make the actual determination since Congress has delegated the regulatory authority to them regarding this technical issue, and that is not going to happen. It would break all precedents and be like the BATF making a bizarre determination that obsolete M16 machine guns or M60 machine guns of the 1960s era are also no longer machine guns - and thus rule that those too can sold off to the public as non-class III items. It's not an M1 Garand that was designed and issued as a semi-auto. The M14 was designed and engineered in the 1950/60s as a machine gun from the get-go, just like the M60s were designed as machine guns. That is not debatable from the ATF's perspective.

Theoretically, there is one - and only one - very small subset of M14s that theoretically could be sold by CMP - that would be the original National Match rifles that SA made in 1962-63 and that TRW made in 1964. They were made from the get-go as semi-autos only (with welded selector locks) and were stamped "NM" on the heel at the time of manufacturing. (The later 'team built' M14s from the late 1960s/70s/80s would never be allowed as they were originally made as machine guns, even if their selector switches were later welded-up for semi-auto fire only).

Indeed, its a very slippery slope and would require a series of multiple miracles to occur concurrently. First, the ATF would have to make a determination that overturns all precedent going back to 1968 and overrule the original law from the 1930s, and then the US Army would have to agree to this transfer, and then CMP leadership would also have to want to do this, and Congress would have a say as well. I expect CMP has a few hundred of theses of these original NM M14s, given that they had 1,000 NM M14s about 12 years ago, but they would clearly be an exotic auction item with each rifle bringing huge money given the scarcity (ie, $10k or $15k easily - so only the wealthy collectors would scoop them up - assuming all those miracles occurred in some alternative universe). You can buy a select fire pre-1986 commercial SAI for about $10k on gunbroker, but any real USGI NM M14s would bring considerably more money.

There is no one pushing for this radical idea, not now, not historically either - so its just a silly discussion. (Never-mind the auction prices would far exceed what is seen for even rare Type 1 National Match M1 Garands). Again, there is no point in dreaming or pontificating about a completely improbable event - just buy a commercial M1A and enjoy it!

Fwiw, here's my retro M1A that I enjoyed at the CMP Eastern Games earlier this week, with a fake selector switch for visuals. I didn't have to win the lottery to build this one either...

Last edited by Random Guy; 05-01-2021 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:34 PM

I agree with Random Guy. You are more likely to win the lottery. If you win the lottery you can afford to buy one of the transferable M14’s.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to me109g4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Deuce View Post
A few weeks ago LRB had some kits ,I bought one,All i needed to buy to make it complete was a barrel,Bolt,Sight Pinion and gas assembly and the Flipper for the Buttstock, I had the gas assembly and a pinion, The Walnut stock they sent me was beautiful Defense dep't stamped one and all the parts were matching H&R and condition was like new ,out of four kits I've bought over the years that was one of the nicest condition ones I've seen ,Did anyone else buy one from Lou at LRB? I only paid $389.00 just waiting on the receiver now there sold out. I am hoping he will put more up for sale they stayed up for a while.
That seems cheap to me but no bolt, no gas system and a few other small bits I am not so sure. Several yrs. back the kits were $900 plus. I assume parts kits are not as much in demand. I think i still have a CMP kit kicking around here somewhere, maybe time to do another M1A.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:56 PM

Dream Big HoosierBuddy! If you listen to the poo poo nay sayers nothing will happen. Hell there would be no CMP today if someone didn't dream it up! That was during the Clinton era! Now who is the brave congressman that will get the M14 exemption inserted into the trillion dollar bill?
Old 04-29-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Dream Big HoosierBuddy! If you listen to the poo poo nay sayers nothing will happen. Hell there would be no CMP today if someone didn't dream it up! That was during the Clinton era! Now who is the brave congressman that will get the M14 exemption inserted into the trillion dollar bill?
Being a “poo poo nay sayer” in this case is simply being grounded in reality.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:37 PM

Reality...well that kills this thread entirely...it was started with some guys dream / wish and not a fact based thesis. LOL....

Hats off to Random Guy for an outstanding commentary based on facts and logic.

I want to dream too...how about CMP BAR's. I'd like a Swede 6.5x55 version with pistol grip.

Last edited by milprileb; 04-30-2021 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Now who is the brave congressman that will get the M14 exemption inserted into the trillion dollar bill?
The Democrats hate all gun rights, and there are no brave Republicans.

Fantasy Thread
Old 05-01-2021, 10:25 AM

I would prefer a Thomson parts kit, tbh
Old 05-01-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
Being a “poo poo nay sayer” in this case is simply being grounded in reality.
The world needs dreamers, too, but that's not me.
Springfield Armory 5,940,259, 5,840,184, 4,238,435 and 2,023,912.
Harrington & Richardson 5,549,399.

"Furniture" is NOT stocks and handguards.

I want to punch Dr. Rick from Progressive in the mouth, just because.

"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts you buy that they come to take back later on.