• Blockhead
    • Oct 2009

Mystery M14-type rifle heel markings

Which manufacturer is this?

https://i.imgur.com/h2V0axyl.jpg
    My Feedback
  • rocknut
    • Feb 2020

Those were manufactured by Karl Maunz. He built early semi auto M14 match rifles into the 80’s. You can search for Maunz 77 match rifle and get some leads.

Comment

• Blockhead
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by rocknut View Post
      Those were manufactured by Karl Maunz. He built early semi auto M14 match rifles into the 80’s. You can search for Maunz 77 match rifle and get some leads.
      Thanks! After doing some reading online the guy elicits some strong opinions among those he has dealt with. Good to know.

I found one reference that the receivers he used were cast and in a very limited run. Anyone know if they are any good?
      Last edited by Blockhead; 10-07-2020, 10:44 AM.
      My Feedback

Comment

• Ted Brown
        • Nov 2012

They were actually cast by the same company that did Springfield's for several years. However, the finish machining was different. Maunz had his own molds made to his specs. You can find lots of good information about Maunz rifles in Lee Emerson's M14 RIFLE DEVELOPMENT AND HISTORY.

Comment

• rocknut
          • Feb 2020

Originally posted by Blockhead View Post
          Thanks! After doing some reading online the guy elicits some strong opinions among those he has dealt with. Good to know.

I found one reference that the receivers he used were cast and in a very limited run. Anyone know if they are any good?
          I think the rifles Karl built had a well earned reputation. I recently bought one but my FFL is having issues so it will be a couple weeks before I can report on how it shoots. It looks really nice either way.
          Last edited by rocknut; 10-11-2020, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• superdave269
            • Oct 2009

Carl Maunz is the"Godfather" of the semi auto M-14.
            Get a copy of" M14 History & Development" by Lee Emerson Lee actually emailed the PDF years ago. There is a chapter or two in this book that covers Carl Maunz and his rifles.

Comment

• cdj7097
              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Ted Brown View Post
              They were actually cast by the same company that did Springfield's for several years. However, the finish machining was different. Maunz had his own molds made to his specs. You can find lots of good information about Maunz rifles in Lee Emerson's M14 RIFLE DEVELOPMENT AND HISTORY.
              You can also call Elmer Ballence in Devine Texas....I believe he's still in the book.

Comment

• Fletcher
                • Feb 2020

I bumped into Mr Maunz several times at gun shows in Louisville, KY. He would walk around holding a M14 barrel and for people that recognized what is was and struck up a conversation he was a living encyclopedia of CMP shooting and M14 history.

Comment

Working...
                X