X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaryV
    • Oct 2009

Would have liked to see that some years ago

My Guard platoon was assigned to pit duty for qualifications a number of years ago.We didn't get much guidance beforehand. Just kind of thrown in to it. I got hit in the cheek by what I assume was a fragment. Didn't do any damage, but it sure hurt like hell.

Comment

• BruceR
      • Oct 2009

Flying pieces is one reason why clubs with pits do not people using staples to attach targets to the backing. Wallpaper paste only.

Comment

• cb long
        • Jan 2010

Good job!!! Thank you.

Comment

• oldbrk42
          • Apr 2010

Puling targets

At Camp Perry, in the 60s, I remember sand being sprayed down our necks, bollows and granny's drawers for a complete miss.

OLDBRK42

Comment

• Oprod30
            • Oct 2009

I worked the 1000 yard pits in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba waaay back in '69; scoring sure has changed since then!! Great video.

Comment

• rutter
              • Aug 2018

I enjoyed the videos. I think the standard set by Mr. Ocab for target service in his videos is a worthy standard (10 seconds). I would add that the NRA Highpower rules note that the normal time required from firing the shot until the target is again ready averages 15-18 seconds. So don't stress if you are running longer than 10 seconds and are new to the game. The shooter appreciates it if you can keep things humming. I preferred to take an extra second for quality control - proper contrast for spotting disk, scoring disk correct, that sort of thing.

Comment

• mac1911
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by rutter View Post
                I enjoyed the videos. I think the standard set by Mr. Ocab for target service in his videos is a worthy standard (10 seconds). I would add that the NRA Highpower rules note that the normal time required from firing the shot until the target is again ready averages 15-18 seconds. So don't stress if you are running longer than 10 seconds and are new to the game. The shooter appreciates it if you can keep things humming. I preferred to take an extra second for quality control - proper contrast for spotting disk, scoring disk correct, that sort of thing.
                As a shooter (these things should not bother you but) i rather have the puller take longer than rush dump the target 1/2 way up then yank it down to move spotter or score disc. Actually i would rather they toss it up and wait for a line/shooter to call out to fix any mistakes.

Comment

• rutter
                  • Aug 2018

Halfway up but then yanking back down

Oh yes! Agreed. The yanking the target back down makes you wonder when the target is really up. Or is it going to stay up or something else will cause the puller to yank it down.

Comment

• junnie
                    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by VMFn542bob View Post
                    Excellent presentation and the Video quality is quite adequate. I was impressed with the evolution of the pits ans spotting techniques. Last time I pulled targets, 55 years ago at P.I., the location of the spotting disc placed in the bullet hole was flagged by holding a large metal disk on a pole over the spotting disc. The color of the the large disc indicated the score. More than once I had another bullet go through the large disc. And more than once I had more than one bullet hole in the target when someone fired on the wrong target. Thanks for posting this.
                    Thanks, your above post happened many times at Edison Range, 1966..
                    We had many targets full of holes from other shooters. It was a common mistake, I missed expert by two points, I was heart broken. boo hoo.

Woes be to the non qual. they PT those dummies all day long. made them put there uniforms on backward and march backward. I never could figure how they could miss such a large target. I'm guessing most recruits out of my 90 man platoon never ever handled a rifle before boot camp. thanks...... Junnie

Comment

Working...
                    X