Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-15-2021, 08:26 PM
Calfed Calfed is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 1,814
Default H&R m12 trigger problem

I recently picked up an H&R M12. It was working fine and like an idiot, I decided to remove the bolt to look down the bore.


I put the bolt back in the rifle and now the rifle uncocks itself when ever I work the bolt.


Any ideas?

Last edited by Calfed; 04-16-2021 at 12:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-15-2021, 09:33 PM
hebes405 hebes405 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 914
Default

thats odd. Its like the trigger is not resetting. It might be packed in grease. Fiddled with the bolt release. Maybe that will free it up. Might need to disassemble.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-15-2021, 10:21 PM
Calfed Calfed is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 1,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
thats odd. Its like the trigger is not resetting. It might be packed in grease. Fiddled with the bolt release. Maybe that will free it up. Might need to disassemble.

I just checked. The trigger does not reset. If I manually press the trigger forward, the bolt stays cocked, and the trigger works. But then I have to do that every time I work the bolt.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-15-2021, 11:39 PM
broomhandle broomhandle is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Augusta GA- X NYC guy
Posts: 903
Default

Hi Sir,

DO not even think about taking the bolt apart without reading how to do it!
It's a complex unit. You might ruin it for a minor problem.
This is a great place to find out how to do it correctly. Ask here or the How TO section of the board.
I had a issue with the extractors, a fellow replied & the minor problem was fixed in a flash. I did not see or feel the Dried grease in extractor slots. A good soaking in some solvent was the fix!

Good Luck.
broom
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-2021, 12:08 AM
Calfed Calfed is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 1,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
Hi Sir,

DO not even think about taking the bolt apart without reading how to do it!
It's a complex unit. You might ruin it for a minor problem.
This is a great place to find out how to do it correctly. Ask here or the How TO section of the board.
I had a issue with the extractors, a fellow replied & the minor problem was fixed in a flash. I did not see or feel the Dried grease in extractor slots. A good soaking in some solvent was the fix!

Good Luck.
broom

I appreciate the tip. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I will approach fixing it with caution.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2021, 05:30 AM
hebes405 hebes405 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 914
Default

By disassemble, I. Ment take the action out of the wood if it's packed with grease.
Let's recap what happened:
Rifle worked fine, you removed the bolt, you inserted the bolt back into the rifle, now the the rifle won't cock.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-2021, 06:20 AM
broomhandle broomhandle is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Augusta GA- X NYC guy
Posts: 903
Default

Hi hebes405,

I had the same issue when I first bought the rifle! The bolt spring & lever was gummed up! The bolt pulled out of the action after I thought I cleaned it correctly.
Again the guys here saved me from going down the wrong trail! As you are now.

Sadly most of the people that KNOW this type of rifle have passed.

Thanks again for helping us out!
broom
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-16-2021, 06:26 AM
hebes405 hebes405 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
Hi hebes405,

I had the same issue when I first bought the rifle! The bolt spring & lever was gummed up! The bolt pulled out of the action after I thought I cleaned it correctly.
Again the guys here saved me from going down the wrong trail! As you are now.

Sadly most of the people that KNOW this type of rifle have passed.

Thanks again for helping us out!
broom
When I bought my rifle, it had lots of sticky grease EVERYWHERE. Very nice rifles.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-16-2021, 09:05 AM
Calfed Calfed is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 1,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
By disassemble, I. Ment take the action out of the wood if it's packed with grease.
Let's recap what happened:
Rifle worked fine, you removed the bolt, you inserted the bolt back into the rifle, now the the rifle won't cock.

Yes, the rifle won't cock unless I manually push the trigger forward will cocking the rifle. The rifle appears to be clean and free of excess grease.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-16-2021, 03:13 PM
broomhandle broomhandle is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Augusta GA- X NYC guy
Posts: 903
Default

H iCalfed,

Just a wild guess here.
Is it possible when you took the bolt out you reliever the firing pin spring about a half turn?
Or turned it tighter than it's correct spot. I think there may be line up marks on the two parts of the bolt. I hope you can get some help, it's most likely a quick adjustment at most.
I'm told there are three other guys in my area that have the M12's.
I have the rifle for about three years, been trying to find them for three years.
Guys like hebes405 are my lifeline for help with older firearms.

Good Luck,
broom
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.