Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2021, 03:46 PM

Default M12US and 44US Pricing Ranges

Simply pricing:

I see H&R M12 US rifles with Palma rear and Olympic/International front sights actually being sold for $750-$925 depending on “used” vs “near new” condition.

Likewise, I see the Mossberg 44US rifles actually being sold for $270-$350 depending mostly on the condition of the stock.

Only question is if these are the proper pricing ranges?
Old 06-22-2021, 05:29 AM

I just sold a M12 with correct sights, in very good to excellent condition on Gunbroker. It went for $460. I thought it would of went in the $700 range, especially since I paid $200 for the sights alone.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:40 AM

I recently purchased an M12 in excellent condition for $300. No sights, but did have a Viani scope rail
Old 06-22-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
I recently purchased an M12 in excellent condition for $300. No sights, but did have a Viani scope rail
YOU THIEF!!
I wish I could get a deal like that.
Last summer I paid $450 for a used M12 with the Olympic irons on it.
The Viani mount was an afterthought, the seller remembered he had it at the last minute, but I don't remember what I gave him for it.

I put a bipod on it, and have been having lots of fun with my non-shooter friends. They laugh like little children when they shoot thumbnail-size groups at 50 yds. first time out.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:51 PM

I don't follow the M12 pricing trends as I am not a fan of single shot rifles. It is my perception that they are readily available in the market, which has a negative effect on prices.

There is considerable variability in the Mossberg M44US values. At the lower end are those guns that were refinished to parkerizing, have missing or incorrect mags or swivels, have incorrect sights, or other issues like stocks that are damaged or poorly refinished. I see those guns in the $250-300 range.

However, I also see a significant jump in values for blued, complete and high condition M44US rifles. I see those selling in the $500 range.

For those rifles with interesting features I see values that are even higher. For example, I am aware of a scarce M44US(a) that sold recently for $575. It was a US Property marked rifle and in nice condition. Those guns are very hard to find which is reflected in their market value.

Your mileage may vary, but that is what I am seeing.

Regards,
Charlie
Old 06-24-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
YOU THIEF!!
I wish I could get a deal like that.
Last summer I paid $450 for a used M12 with the Olympic irons on it.
The Viani mount was an afterthought, the seller remembered he had it at the last minute, but I don't remember what I gave him for it.

I put a bipod on it, and have been having lots of fun with my non-shooter friends. They laugh like little children when they shoot thumbnail-size groups at 50 yds. first time out.
Thanks, jmm.

The prior owner also beaded the action...

Last edited by Calfed; 06-24-2021 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:53 PM

Calfed, nice looking deal there.
My wood is a little darker than yours.
The bedding is interesting, with the truck axle for a barrel, I'm sure free-floating helps.
I bought screws to plug the screw holes, and removed my front sight. I'll see if I have any left over.
I think I saw that the Viani mounts sold for $150 +/-, so you paid less than $200 for that rifle.
Do you have a scope to put on it?
Old 06-25-2021, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
Calfed, nice looking deal there.
My wood is a little darker than yours.
The bedding is interesting, with the truck axle for a barrel, I'm sure free-floating helps.
I bought screws to plug the screw holes, and removed my front sight. I'll see if I have any left over.
I think I saw that the Viani mounts sold for $150 +/-, so you paid less than $200 for that rifle.
Do you have a scope to put on it?
Thanks, jmm

I've got a 20x42 SWFA scope on the way. I also glommed a Redfield Palma rear sight at an auction a few weeks ago...

There is a glitch with the M12. The bolt frequently uncocks when I close the bolt. I think the trigger is set too "light".

Post some pics of your M12. I've also got an H&R M5200, the civilian version of the M12. It has a dark walnut stock.

Last edited by Calfed; 06-25-2021 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:20 AM

Had the same trigger issue with mine.
Gunscrubbered the living s**t out of the inside of the bolt.
Seems to have helped.
Also the extractor recesses on the barrel took some work to get cleaned out.
I put a BSA Sweet 22 on mine. One of the members here had pointed out a good deal on them, so I grabbed it, thinking I would put it on a CMP Kimber 82G.
I'll have to take some pics of mine to post. It was used by 2 shooters for club matches before I got it, and picked up a few dings. The Viani mount was never used though.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:51 AM

One thing to think about is the "total cost" factor when scoping these rifles. The cost of a Lyman Super Spot scope or even a Unertl is in the $600-$900 range for a higher magnification scope. The cost of a similar quality "modern" scope is $400-$700. But then you have to get the Viani rail ($125-$200 if you can find it) and rings ($25-$50). The long scopes already come with them all set for the mounting blocks that are already there.