Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 PM

Default front handguard ?paint

I just got an A kit and the front handguard (not slotted) has quite a bit of wear on it. Any advice on how to paint/color it to match stock?
Old 05-12-2012, 10:00 AM

Before painting, take some steel wool and try buffing it out. Many were heavily coated with boiled linseed oil while the stocks were being wiped down. They mixed in oil, grease, body sweat, and any dirt that wasn't caught or wiped off first. The BLO then dried, forming a hazy film over the handguard. It appears to be ruined many times, but cleans up nicely with steel wool. You will have to rub pretty hard and keep rotating your wool to a clean spot. When the heat builds up, it will come off and shine the handguard to the original outside finish.

If it is really bad and needs painting anyway, then sand very lightly first. It takes only scuffing it to hold paint. Don't burn through the outer layer of fiberglass. I use Acryl-Green spot putty from 3M, for any holes or divits. I guess you could use Bondo for holes or cracks, I never tried it. The acrylic body putty dries fast and can be sanded in an hour. Then prime the handguard with good quality primer. Use sandable primer from spray can. Lay two coats on, then steel wool very lightly when dried. Then apply finish coat of paint after wiping off the dust from sanding.

As for matching the color of the stock, that is a tough one. Handguards came in about five colors. Black, very dark brown that looked almost black, dark brown, medium brown, and light brown. I suggest you find a couple colors you like, and wrap the handguard in Saran Wrap, then spray a coat on the wrapping. Hold up against your rifle stock and check to see if you like it first, then paint handguard with it.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:46 PM

I painted mine with Rustoleum ultra cover,satin espresso,item no. 249081.Perfect match for the dark red-brown color.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:55 PM

See if your walmart has the Krylon brown used for "Camo".This is a perfect match for USGI stocks and hanguards.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebaker1129 View Post
See if your walmart has the Krylon brown used for "Camo".This is a perfect match for USGI stocks and hanguards.
does the flat look o.k. or do you apply a satin clear? both handguards that i have appear to be satin and not a true flat. i just repaired a slotted handguard today that will need painting.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:59 PM

Was not a fan of the camo paint. I tried 4 different types before I was happy with the end result. The camo was too flat and too muddy. The Rustoleum that irishsteve recommends above in satin is the best I've found so far.

You could try taking some mineral spirits to the original finish first. It does help to clean some of the years of grime off. Also, you might try Meguiars cleaner wax. It's pretty good at removing scratches and stains without harming the finish.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:45 PM

The flat I used was the same color as the Stocks.
The handgaurds do come in a vast array of colors,so what ever color you like is what I would use. I have a can of some kind of rustoleum paint as well . I will get the name of it for you.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:52 AM

Black or brown Duracoat with flattening agent. Gun cleaning solutions will remove Krylon or "grill" paint in seconds. Don't even bother with it.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:59 AM

TokiWartooth,

You are 100% correct about the grill paint! I used to used it for M1 gas cyclinders but I noticed that it actually will just come off in your hands. Not very effective. Now I just use dura coat.

Tom
Old 05-17-2012, 01:36 PM

You guys are talking about the upper hand guard, right? The one made out of fiberglass? Those are so cheap, I wouldn't bother trying to fix the one but rather look for another HG at a gun show or via a WTB ad.

Please leave feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=33711