X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SaddleTramp
    • Oct 2009

Memories of 5 Oct 2011

Just thinking back today on the events of 11 years ago at the South Store (old location).

The South Store was having a release/sale that day of "bolt guns". Loads of 22 target rifles, M1903/A3, and a few Krags.

My friend and I drove down the day prior, spent a few restless hours at a local hotel and arrived at the South Store parking lot at 0300. We pulled out our chairs and blankets and got in line. There were already 30 folks ahead of us waiting for the doors to open at 0800. What a great group of folks to pass the time with talking about our hopes and dreams that waited for us just a few feet inside.

The doors opened at 0800 with a limit of just 20 folks at a time inside. As folks finished their selection, they were directed back outside while the paperwork was processed and then to the window to pay the tab.

There was a limit to one rifle of each specific type. I was fortunate enough to pick up a 1898 Krag ($450), a 1942 Remington 513T ($165), and a 1967 Remington 40X ($475). My friend picked up a really nice Springfield M1903A3, and if I remember correctly a USMC Remington 40X.

Those were certainly great times that will never happen again.
  • luckybait
    • Oct 2019

Wow !!!!

Comment

• gunny
      • Apr 2010

The good ol' days.....
      Semper Fi,
      Gunny
      RVN '66 - '68 1st Tank Bn
      USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011
      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Comment

• howardhuge
        • Dec 2009

11 years ago? Try 1998 to 2006 for the hay days. I bought several SG rifles that were as new and as correct ...did a bunch of 12 a year buys Dec then Jan another 12. Service grades were plentiful and 395.00, then by 2005 the barreled receivers at 295.00 without wood...VAR barrels. I look at the CMP sales and have to laugh at the quality of rifles sold now. Back in the Orist days it was nirvana. Oh BTW those .22 bolt rifles were 75.00 then jumped to 95.00.

Comment

• SaddleTramp
          • Oct 2009

I didn't get started with the CMP until 2009 with a Greek L/L HRA for $495. But, I certainly agree that the "Mr Orest" days were certainly the highlight. I bagged as many M1 Carbines as I could, along with cases of Greek ammo, the bayonets, and of course multiple Garands.

Another of my "lucky" days was on my birthday in 2011. Leon was there behind the counter and asked me what I was looking for... I told him I was looking for a Winchester, but there wasn't any out on the floor. He grinned and said it was my lucky day. He reached over in the 'HOLD" rack and put a Field Grade Winchester on the counter ($695). He said a guy had placed it there the day before, but left and never came back. It was a Win-13 with a beautiful SA stock. I bought the rifle and celebrated all the way home!

Comment

• howardhuge
            • Dec 2009

I bought a few FAT Italian carbines but im hooked on Garands. Good Buy on the Win 13. I was told by a reliable person the 12 a year was to purge the inventory due to looming Capt Crunch gun haters in Congress. Looked over a M14 that the folks behind the counter were Doing a Accuracy check for the Army shooting team. The Receiver lug was still intact but the FA stuff gone.

Comment

• shooter220
              • Aug 2010

Oct 2011 is about the same time I was there for the first time I believe. A SG HRA was shipped out to me as a result of that first trip. I went back later and found a FG HRA that is a near perfect twin to the first. I had a very specific need - each of my boys (one born in 2011) stands to inherit a very nice condition CMP Garand. I went post-war because my Dad would have likely been shooting a post-war Garand when he was in ROTC in college.

I used to drive to ATL to Birmingham a few times a year, so it made a lot of sense to stop in Anniston on the way. I don't make that trip anymore, but maybe I need to get to the new store!

-shooter

Comment

• jeffe
                • Dec 2020

The first time that my wife and I went to the Camp Perry store, there were loads of Danish returned M-1s and 1903/1903A3s. The racks were all full. I picked up several VAR barreled rifles
                The second time, in addition to Garands, there were M-1 carbines. I picked up 2 Inland and 1 Underwood.
                The last time we went, there were Greek Airforce returned M-1s. I picked up a 5.4 Springfield and a HRA.
                Those really were the days!

Comment

• hammonje1
                  • Aug 2022

Those were great times picking rifles and hanging out with Leon and the staff. Racks full and the excitement of wondering what you'd find. Easy to wake up early on those days. Wish I could climb in a time machine and go through those visits again....

Comment

• Will049
                    • Sep 2010

Ya the racks were full back then and they would bring out rifles as the others sold. One one trip down they had woodless Garands stacked deep for $300 and did not go against your limit. They had some finish wear but almost aii original WWII and I had a bin full of wood at home from the guy that bought out the "Barn" if you remember him.

Comment

• kalski
                      • Jul 2017

My first CMP rifle was a woodless Dane for $275. It was an all correct 1945 SA rifle sans the stock.

A few years later I took a trip to the S. store and picked up two Inland carbines and a FG H&R that would pass for a correct grade rifle today. Along with four cans of 30.06.

They had tons of .22lr bolt guns, some air rifles, a rack of 03/03A3 rifles and a rack of Krags. I also perused through a barrel full of barreled M1 receivers.

Comment

• paul s
                        • May 2010

I was there, 16th in line, we arrived about 10pm Friday bought 10 or so 22 rifles

Comment

Working...
                        X