Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2022, 08:14 AM

Default New England Games 2022

The New England Games were a wet affair this year. I was there from Sunday to Wednesday and It rained from late Monday morning and never stopped for long. I was able to get in 3 GSM matches on Monday before lightning shut down the line. Tuesday morning I was shooting in relay one of the carbine match. I started out well ,then it started to rain heavily in the sitting course of the match. The aperture filled will water and my glasses fogged up. After that I was just pointing at the target a pulling the trigger. The targets and backers were soaked. The best thing was my carbine functioned flawlessly,not one jam or stoppage in 50 rounds and 10 different magazines. Needless to say it was not one of my better scores. The rest of the day was spent in the squad bay drying my gear and cloths. Luckily the barracks had a washer and dryer. The 24 bunk squad bay was a nice wide open accommodation. I shared the space with Sean Murphy, a great guy, and we shared our growing up in large families. Wednesday morning I left for home and it was still raining. Even with all that I had a great time. The conversation and association with the other shooter is well worth the trip. I look forward to next years event with enthusiasm . The CMP staff once again were fantasic. The weather never dampened they're spirit. One thing I did come away with is the need for a good rain suit. Eddie
Old 10-01-2022, 10:51 AM

Glad you had a good time despite the rain! CMP New England Games is a fantastic event. I went in 2016 (inaugural year) and 2019.
2016 set the hook with Gary Anderson there the whole time personally awarding all medals. I bought the picture the CMP took of Gary shaking my hand and putting a bronze around my neck for the carbine match, the picture and medal sit above my desk and remind me every day of an awesome time at Camp Ethan Allen.
And you're right, the camaraderie there is second to none, the base personnel, Vermont Rifle Assoc. folks and of course the CMP team from Anniston all make it one of my favorite shooting events to attend.
Hope I can make it next year, just a long drive from the southern end of Florida!

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
CMP - GSVMM Master Instructor
Old 10-01-2022, 04:15 PM

Eddie and Craftsman,sorry I had to leave that weather.Truth is I was so sick and needed doctor care.Hey,everyone moved up one place without me there.lol.
Anyway I miss chatting with the Wilderness crew at Vermont.
Ethan Allen range and facility is the best and most affordable and I’ve been to all of them except the new one in the Northwest.
It even beats Perry because you don’t have the ridiculous wake up hours to get to and on the range.Looking forward to next year already.
Remember,early preregistration is the way to go.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to muddy Send a message via MSN to muddy Send a message via Yahoo to muddy
Default 2022 Vermont Match- Thanks to the CMP Match Travel Team

For sure the 2022 Vermont Match was a wet one. Having to blow out my peep sight a few times during rapid fire was an unusual and challanging extra step. At least the rain wasn't mixed with snow and a cold wind. It was just wet....very wet. Thanks to the CMP Travel Team for running an excellent and safe match. The thunder and lightning on Monday wasn't easy for the staff to deal with but they got the matches in without a hitch and just a few delays.
The electronic targets worked perfectly once we learned to wipe the sceeen before trying to reset between matches. Camp Ethan Allen is a great place to shoot! I'll be back. Maybe next year it will snow.