Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2022, 03:35 PM

Default Survey says....

Has anyone heard the results of the " paper targets or electronic targets" survey we were asked at registration?
Old 10-06-2022, 08:22 AM

I've heard there will never be electronic targets for the CMP games because it is a Nation Match. And people want that paper backup. ...
Old 10-06-2022, 06:04 PM

On the other hand, in the Garand Match, when you shoot 10 rounds RF and the chalk board says 9 hits so you challenge. The block officer holds the radio down low so I could hear the pit officials ruling. "There's one hole bigger than the rest, but I can't tell if it's a double or not. The shooter gets credit for 9 hits."
My thought was, If the hole in the target was bigger than the others, it had to be a double.
Dropping those 10 points took me out of the top 10 to just barely making the top 100.
That was the last time I shot a match at Perry, never again.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:23 PM

Pg 29 h. CMP Games Rules Book. They were required to score a tenth shot equal to your lowest shot. This was a new rule for 2022. I know this is a fine point, but every competitor (and every official) needs to know the rules. You were shafted, but.... Good Shooting..... Addendum--guess you didn't say when this happened...

Last edited by ceresco; 10-06-2022 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:29 PM

Why quit the game if you disagree with a ruling?
Old 10-07-2022, 10:21 AM

I still shoot, just not at Perry. I have been back to Perry to coach in the NTT and other functions.

At Perry…
I have been in the carbine match and showed up with my high power kit. The block officer took a look at me, ran over to another block, pointed and said, "You don't need all that sh!t to shoot this match." then interrupted my shooting 3 times during the match to tell me how to properly hold the rifle.
As a coach in the NTT, one of my shooters took 17 shots on his target in sitting rapid fire. I had a 5 min discussion with the block on how my shooter doesn't get the low 10, we get the choice of the low 10 or a refire and we want to refire.
In the P100 a guy crossfired on my target standing position. It took lots of discussion with the block and the pits to straighten that out. I had to finish in extra time. The pits showed a 7. I had to argue to get them to mark both shots as the rules say and provide the higher of the 2 scores. Pits kept saying they marked the higher of the two. When I said, "my score keeper wants verification the higher of the two scores was marked." the target went down and came back up with a 7 and a 9 marked on it.
Another time at the end of the carbine match, I put my rifle in the vertical rack on my shooting stool. Mag out, ECI inserted. The block yelled at me to lay the rifle down, he stated that its pointed over top dead center, leaning back and pointing at the spectators. (I use the same stool as the AMU) I laid the rifle down on my mat and said now it’s pointed at the competitors scoring targets. The block said, “It’s OK to shoot a competitor, we don’t want any spectators shot.” I kid you not.

I don’t shoot at Perry any more, I’ve had enough.
Old 10-07-2022, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Hunter View Post
On the other hand, in the Garand Match, when you shoot 10 rounds RF and the chalk board says 9 hits so you challenge. The block officer holds the radio down low so I could hear the pit officials ruling. "There's one hole bigger than the rest, but I can't tell if it's a double or not. The shooter gets credit for 9 hits."
My thought was, If the hole in the target was bigger than the others, it had to be a double.
Dropping those 10 points took me out of the top 10 to just barely making the top 100.
Whatever happened to "it's a good group, find the double!"?
Old 10-08-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Hunter View Post
That one always gets me at the games matches. These are GAMES matches The match winner gets the same t shirt that the guy who comes in dead last. Yes, if you do shoot really well you get a trinket/swag medal.

If there was a lot of money or a new truck going to the winner that would be a different story.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:47 AM

I forget who said it... "There are serious shooters who have championships on their mind and those that are serious about having fun – which one is you?"
Old 10-10-2022, 10:49 AM

I'm just one guy, but in my opinion, pit duty is one of the aspects of service rifle shooting that makes it service rifle shooting. Ya know...what they do in the service.

My great grandpa worked the pits. So did my grandpa. And my dad. And me. And I want future generations to do the same.

As for the games matches, again, if you're shooting an M1 Garand in a nostalgic match, don't you want the nostalgia of the pits? Shooting a Garand at an e-target seems anachronistic to me.

Long range, palma, mid range, f class, heck even the NRA XTC championship in Indiana, they can all do as they wish, but to me, it isn't Board week at Perry without pits.