Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2020, 04:01 PM

Thumbs up Carbine Mag Repair

So this is a blast from the past, but some years back a bunch of bent carbine mags were sold off by a vendor. Packs of 50 or 100, I don't remember for sure. I got some and straightened the useable ones, but guys on the forums here had some tooling or dies they were passing around to fix them. Anyone remember or have something?? I've got a bunch that still needing fixing and may have some time on my hands this winter. Life has kept me away from the CMP and shooting for quite a while now and I'm hoping to return soon.
Thanks, Rifelman in Maryland
Old 11-11-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerschwein View Post
Compare the lips to a fresh clip and use a small brass punch or padded needle nose pliers to scull the lips back into shape.
That's easy to do, these were bent and crushed bodies, big dents and creases, or mag bodies twisted out of square. I'm sure a lot were just written off by guys then. Some had smashed followers and floor plates. May only save the spring on some of them.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifelman View Post
So this is a blast from the past, but some years back a bunch of bent carbine mags were sold off by a vendor. Packs of 50 or 100, I don't remember for sure. I got some and straightened the useable ones, but guys on the forums here had some tooling or dies they were passing around to fix them. Anyone remember or have something?? I've got a bunch that still needing fixing and may have some time on my hands this winter. Life has kept me away from the CMP and shooting for quite a while now and I'm hoping to return soon.
Thanks, Rifelman in Maryland
I would suggest a soft pine board cut roughly to the internal dimensions of a carbine magazine. Disassemble the magazine and insert the board into the magazine body. Should iron out the dents.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerschwein View Post
What’s the origin?

In the Air Force, if a magazine is giving one of our carbines or pistols fits the procedure is to remove it from the weapon, unload any ammunition, and smash the damn thing with a hammer and toss it in the nearest trash can. Maybe these were collected problematic carbine mags?
I think these came back from another country, they are US mags mostly, various markings. Maybe DuPage or someone like them must have got big piles of them. It may have been more than 10 years ago. It was a big deal on the Forums as guys were figuring out how to salvage them.