Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2020, 11:00 PM

Default My Carbine Under Glass

55yrs old and my ability to shoot irons past 100yds has waned.

I've been curious about how well a Carbine could group. To support my desire for getting one of my little War Babies out to the range more often I went out on a limb and picked up one of judrch's NOS M3 scope bases. Put an old Weaver K4 on it. While the eye relief put my chin-weld back to an awkward degree it is still shootable.

I don't know what kind of ammo I was shooting. Bunch of loaded mags from years ago. Headstamp was PSD/86. Sprayed 4-5" groups at 100yds. In storage I have backed up various other ammo including Remington UMC, Aguila (dirty) , Federal, I.M.I. Soft Point, Korean Surp, and a can of loose (something-or-other) I got from CMP years ago. The muzzle gauges less than 1.

I've always understood these to be 200yd rifles but mine (or my ammo) certainly isn't. Might I expect any better performance with the other ammo above or is this about the best they do? Any advice?

thanxkmad

Last edited by kmad2001; 11-08-2020 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad2001 View Post
55yrs old and my ability to shoot irons past 100yds has waned.

I've been curious about how well a Carbine could group. To support my desire for getting one of my little War Babies out to the range more often I went out on a limb and picked up one of judrch's NOS M3 scope bases. Put an old Weaver K4 on it. While the eye relief put my chin-weld back to an awkward degree it is still shootable.

I don't know what kind of ammo I was shooting. Bunch of loaded mags from years ago. Headstamp was PSD/86. Sprayed 4-5" groups at 100yds. In storage I have backed up various other ammo including Remington UMC, Aguila (dirty) , Federal, I.M.I. Soft Point, Korean Surp, and a can of loose (something-or-other) I got from CMP years ago. The muzzle gauges less than 1.

I've always understood these to be 200yd rifles but mine (or my ammo) certainly isn't. Might I expect any better performance with the other ammo above or is this about the best they do? Any advice?

thanxkmad
Even 5 MOA is still a 15 circle at 300 yards. 16 is considered the width of an average adult mail upper body so your gun is minute of man at that distance, exactly as the military intended.

I am no expert on target shooting with the carbine and others will chime in soon.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:12 AM

Could, depending on your rifle. I have four and any of them will do 3" @ 100 yds. and 6" @ 200 yds. with the issue sights IF my 57 year old eyes are cooperating.

To be fair, the Iver Johnson probably has a near new barrel.

If you're a good hand with a rifle and yours has a decent bore and muzzle, fits well in the stock, and has a Type 3 barrel band, I'd think it would do 3" with decent ammunition. But if it's even doing 4" or 5", I'd think it OK.

Although I shoot my carbine's mostly at 200 yds., I personally feel their practical limit is about 150 yds.

I shoot mostly handloads so can't really comment on the accuracy of factory loads. The one factory load I have tried, almost 300 rounds so far, is Prvi (headstamp PPU) and it is for all practical purposes as accurate as my handloads. You might try some of it.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:39 PM

Try some groups with "known" source and age ammo, I suspect you will find one brand or a couple that you and your carbine "like".

"I don't know what" and "years ago" does not sound like a fair test- JMHO.