Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2016, 08:31 PM

I'm putting together a packing list for the matches and was wondering if there is anything glaring I'm missing? I am holding off on investing in a shooting jacket for the moment. Perhaps Santa might deliver one later...

M1 Garand with sling
Ammo
8 round and 2 round enbloc clips
hearing and eye protection
a small can of ballistol (my go to gun oil)
a small cleaning kit or boresnake
shooting mat
a pair of gloves (Mechanix gloves)
empty chamber indicator
Old 11-15-2016, 08:41 PM

A stool for offhand- they do have some folding chairs available
Small cooler with lunch/snack and drinks- usually no food vendor and the drink machines sell out
Extra 8 rd clip- no alibis so have a full extra clip ready
Extra ammo- in case of a target problem requiring you to re-shoot
Small clipboard and pen for scoring/verifying
Old 12-08-2016, 05:55 PM

Well I just got back from Talladega so I'll try and put some of thoughts to paper (pixels?) before I forget anything.

First off the shooter's excuses I was fighting one wicked cold/fever/cough while I was there so now that I got that out of the way I can progress.

Got into Talladega Monday afternoon and stayed at the Courtyard Anniston in Oxford.

Arrived Tuesday morning for check-in and SAFS. I was pretty impressed by the clubhouse and facility as a whole. It is very nice, nothing like the range I frequent! I was also surprised by the amount of experience shooters who showed up to the class (in terms of those who had shot matches before). There were about twenty of us. Mark Johnson spoke at the beginning discussing the range, status of CMP, and answering any questions. Steve Cooper led the class and was assisted by Don and Leon Rutherford. They discussed shooting positions, sling use, range commands, scoring, sight adjustments, and trigger pull. Everyone was allowed to ask questions or chime in with advice throughout the class. Around lunchtime we went down to the range for the match. I did AWFUL, came in last place (181-1, the next lowest was nowhere near that). There was a myriad of things I was doing wrong these aren't excuses but more of things myself and others noticed I was doing wrong.

I was too fidgety and couldn't keep still.
I was yanking on the trigger (I am use to heavy mil-surp triggers)
I couldn't get the sling adjusted properly
I then had it either too loose or too tight. The later caused such a problem I could barely hold the rifle during the slowfire due to the pulsing and using my arm muscles and not the sling to support the rifle in the prior stages.
Couldn't find a comfortable sitting position this ultimately cost me four shots on the rapid fire sitting stage. (I later used a kneeling position on the EIC match.)
Couldn't calm down and slow my breathing during slowfire. This might have been affected by the fact I couldn't breathe through my nose.
The list went on and on...

Fortunately everyone was very helpful and giving advice throughout the afternoon or pointers which I greatly appreciated. After this I went back to the hotel and went to bed hoping to fight off more of that cold and dreading the EIC match the next day.

I woke up feeling somewhat better and after breakfast left for the range. Upon getting there and seeing the amount of people, seasoned veterans, the Army Marksmanship Unit, and members of the Puerto Rico National Guard, I nearly turned around and left. I went ahead and went on down and got my stuff in place. I would be shooting in the first relay with my Garand. Most everyone else had ARs and I saw a few M1As sprinkled throughout. Not sure if because I had gotten the jitters out of my system the day before or I had no expectations on doing well but I felt relaxed once the match started. Had issues getting the sling adjust the way I wanted but I survived. The 600 yard phase kicked my butt (10 of the rounds didn't even register on the target). My final score was 176-0, last place. However this time I wasn't expecting much so it was no surprise.

While last place is never an easy pill to swallow, I did learn a LOT. I was also impressed by how willing everyone is able to help everyone out even if they are competing with one another. I do not view it as a wasted trip. I am probably going to take a stab at Camp Butner in the spring, that time I'll bring my Springfield or Enfield, rifles I am more comfortable with and will be practicing my positions and proper sling use and trigger pull. There was a long list of things I was doing incorrectly so I have plenty to keep me busy between now and April. I am anxiously looking forward to the long journey that lays ahead.

Sorry for the wordy post if I anything else comes to mind I'll let y'all know. Thanks for the encouragement and advice!
Old 12-08-2016, 08:38 PM

The first time I shot in a Garand match, my score was 151 and I was beaten by two girls. Since then, I have been above 290 a few times.....so don't give up. Good Shooting. ..
Old 12-09-2016, 07:53 AM

Default Talladega 600

That was a good 'write up' re the match(es). Wonderful range isn't it?

I do have ONE question that did not appear to be answered:
DID YOU HAVE FUN?

And, for what it's worth, IMHO, although it would be 'nice' to view one's total in relation to other totals as being at least average, just remind yourself that the FUN part is obtaining better TOTALS against yourself. I have had good matches (against myself) and others where I feel - "Gee, if I had just not had that 0 (or 0, 0) in standing or those few 5's in rapids, I would have kicked a** (at least against myself).

Ya just got to go and enjoy it all. Nothing beats a day at the range. (And that 600 yd total will come up dramatically with practice) I went down in early Nov and 'practiced' for two days before the 1000 ag and dramatically improved my 600 totals.

Now.................go get em!
Old 12-09-2016, 09:37 AM

You did fine. I was the guy on the 3rd relay that came up and talked to you. Great job at 600 with Garand.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:20 AM

First off - Good on you for taking the plunge!

The intimidation factor of the first match (especially full distance) pegs the meter. As you learned almost all the competitors are more than willing to help out.

As to the details, learning how to build a solid position using the sling for support is vital. You can get to the point in sitting and prone where there is no observable movement of the front sight post relative to the bull.

This apparent lack of movement adds confidence. The confidence allows you to use good trigger control. This as opposed to yanking the trigger as the front sight swings past the bull. Also a loose position will cause you to "muscle the rifle" to get the front sight to the bull. Muscling the rifle will result in very few center shots and a lot wide ones.

The goal is that your entire position points the rifle to the target center. If you are using muscle tension to make that happen your position and/or Natural Point of Aim needs work.

The good news is that building good positions is cheap, as in free. Do it by dry firing at home. Make a scale model black bull on a piece of white paper, put it on the wall, get in position and dry fire.

The details on building a good position and using the sling are probably available on the CMP website.

Here is a good ref by Konrad Powers on how to rig both the M1 web sling and the M1907 leather sling:

http://illinoishighpower.org/general...SR%20Sling.pdf

Keep at it, keep learning and have fun!

Jim
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)
Old 12-09-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVN 69-70 View Post
That was a good 'write up' re the match(es). Wonderful range isn't it?

I do have ONE question that did not appear to be answered:
DID YOU HAVE FUN?

And, for what it's worth, IMHO, although it would be 'nice' to view one's total in relation to other totals as being at least average, just remind yourself that the FUN part is obtaining better TOTALS against yourself. I have had good matches (against myself) and others where I feel - "Gee, if I had just not had that 0 (or 0, 0) in standing or those few 5's in rapids, I would have kicked a** (at least against myself).

Ya just got to go and enjoy it all. Nothing beats a day at the range. (And that 600 yd total will come up dramatically with practice) I went down in early Nov and 'practiced' for two days before the 1000 ag and dramatically improved my 600 totals.

Now.................go get em!
I'll say I enjoyed the second match because I felt more comfortable shooting the Garand. The first one I was too tense to allow myself to enjoy it.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:52 AM

Default Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.tickle View Post
I'll say I enjoyed the second match because I felt more comfortable shooting the Garand. The first one I was too tense to allow myself to enjoy it.
GOOD.....now you have 'experience' and won't be as intimidated

Tags
600, eic, safs, talladega