Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > NM Collector CMP Edition Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2022, 08:21 PM

Default Entering ammunition

I just installed NM Collector am in the process of entering all of my data (I unfortunately wasn't able to export my data from a prior package). I got kind of stumped when trying to enter ammunition into the database, when entering multiple packages (boxes, ammo cans, spam cans, etc.) of ammunition purchased at one time, and also being able to track separately those items purchased at different times (often at different prices), so that I knew how many packages of that item were bought at $99 versus $129 for example.

When entering a bulk ammunition purchase, the solution I came up with was to create a first record (entry) of one package (box/ammo can/etc.), and entering the transaction date (date field in the REC screen) into the Custom Tag field in the ID screen for that first record.

For example, I'd create an entry for "HXP 200 rounds loose" at $xx.00 per can, and would list the "received" date (I used invoice date) in the REC screen's date field. I'd then enter that "received" date into the Custom Tag field in the ID screen.

Once I finished entering the rest of the data, I'd go back to the ID screen and use the Duplicate button to create as many additional records as necessary for each additional package in that transaction. This also means I can delete the record for each individual package once it's been used up.

Thought I'd share this with the group just in case anyone else wasn't sure how to handle these types of transactions. Please let me know if anyone has come up with a different solution - I'm always willing to learn from others.

(P.S. Many thanks to Clay for his guidance on this as well!)
Old 01-24-2022, 09:38 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan View Post

When entering a bulk ammunition purchase, the solution I came up with was to create a first record (entry) of one package (box/ammo can/etc.), and entering the transaction date (date field in the REC screen) into the Custom Tag field in the ID screen for that first record.

For example, I'd create an entry for "HXP 200 rounds loose" at $xx.00 per can, and would list the "received" date (I used invoice date) in the REC screen's date field. I'd then enter that "received" date into the Custom Tag field in the ID screen.

Once I finished entering the rest of the data, I'd go back to the ID screen and use the Duplicate button to create as many additional records as necessary for each additional package in that transaction. This also means I can delete the record for each individual package once it's been used up.
Nice solution. Thanks for sharing. Would it make sense to add a quantity field in the description tab? If so, I can add it to the default database that gets distributed. If anybody wants to add a new field to any of the tabs, you can use [Edit > Collection Templates] then select the collection, the tab, and the field type (in this case, DECIMAL). Then add the new field caption for one of the available fields.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2022, 08:41 PM

I think a quantity field (dropdown pick list?, maybe in the ID field?) would be a nice addition, as long as there's a way to deduct units as they're used up at a later point in time.

Another thought I had when entering ammunition: is it possible to "share" information between the different categories? For example, when entering ammuntion purchased from the CMP, they didn't already exist as a "Business" on the "Rec" screen in the Ammunition category, even though they already existed on the "Rec" screen in the Firearms category, so I had to add them in again under Ammunition.

Last thought: in the Desc field, in addition to current and insured value, have you considered adding a field for Purchase price? I think that acquisition (purchase) cost would also be information worth tracking, especially in the Statistics report.

Just a few thoughts...
Old 01-25-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmCollector View Post
Would it make sense to add a quantity field in the description tab? If so, I can add it to the default database that gets distributed.
Quote:
I think a quantity field (dropdown pick list?, maybe in the ID field?) would be a nice addition, as long as there's a way to deduct units as they're used up at a later point in time.
I have not added ammo to my database yet, but I was planning on adding a Quantity field on the ID tab so that I can see the quantity from the main Home ammo list without having to go into the individual item to see the amount. Playing around with it, I will probably just rename the Custom Tag field to Quantity (added new fields do not show up on the Home list).

Clay, could a Decimal field type be added to the Ammo ID tab that will also show up in the Ammo Home list? This way would be easier to change the ammo quantity when needed vs editing a DDL.

Quote:
Last thought: in the Desc field, in addition to current and insured value, have you considered adding a field for Purchase price? I think that acquisition (purchase) cost would also be information worth tracking, especially in the Statistics report.

Just a few thoughts...
Purchase price is in the Rec tab as Amount and shows as Cost in the stats page.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:00 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Yes, that is certainly possible. In fact, you can add it now if you want. I'm not sure yet what we should do with the default template that will be distributed with the application.

Quote:
Another thought I had when entering ammunition: is it possible to "share" information between the different categories? For example, when entering ammuntion purchased from the CMP, they didn't already exist as a "Business" on the "Rec" screen in the Ammunition category, even though they already existed on the "Rec" screen in the Firearms category, so I had to add them in again under Ammunition.
I was thinking about some kind of rules engine where you could specify that you want a value from a field in one tab (like the address fileds in the Receipt tab) to be copied to another tab (like the address fileds in the Disposition tab) - that way you could have it appear in more than one place but would only have to updated it in one place.

Quote:
We have purchase price (the amount field in the Receipt tab). This might be another application of that rules engine I mentioned above. The rules engine could be used to copy whatever value is in the amount field in the Receipts tab to a new field you create in the Desc tab.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:22 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Clay, could a Decimal field type be added to the Ammo ID tab that will also show up in the Ammo Home list? This way would be easier to change the ammo quantity when needed vs editing a DDL.
I can add the ability to select which fields show up in the Home list. This, in combination with the rules engine mentioned earlier, might provide the functionality that you are suggesting.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2022, 10:54 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
I was thinking about some kind of rules engine where you could specify that you want a value from a field in one tab (like the address fileds in the Receipt tab) to be copied to another tab (like the address fileds in the Disposition tab) - that way you could have it appear in more than one place but would only have to updated it in one place.
That would be a nice feature! Would that work between 2 different collections?
I think that's what MustangMan is looking for - like from an address in a Firearms Receipt to Ammunition Receipt?

Quote:
I can add the ability to select which fields show up in the Home list. This, in combination with the rules engine mentioned earlier, might provide the functionality that you are suggesting.

Thanks
Having the ability for us to choose and edit what fields are in the Home list is an even better idea!
Old 01-25-2022, 11:28 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
That would be a nice feature! Would that work between 2 different collections?
I think that's what MustangMan is looking for - like from an address in a Firearms Receipt to Ammunition Receipt?
There may be multiple levels. At one level, say copying amounts from one field to another, that would probably be restricted to each individual item since the values would be specific to that item. However, copying available drop down values from one tab to another might work well across collections.

Thanks