My Completed MANN accuracy project (by WRMorrison posted December 6, 2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VMFn542bob
    • Oct 2009

My Completed MANN accuracy project (by WRMorrison posted December 6, 2009)

Last edited by VMFn542bob; 06-12-2012, 06:55 PM.
    A veteran is someone who once signed a blank check payable to The United States of America in an amount up to and including their life.
  • VMFn542bob
    • Oct 2009

A veteran is someone who once signed a blank check payable to The United States of America in an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• VMFn542bob
      • Oct 2009

Comment

• VMFn542bob
        • Oct 2009

The following and last page shows six additional photos that were not included in the resurrected thread above.

Rich Morrison's MANN Accuracy Device, converted to a beautiful bench rest rifle, was purchased by another CMP forum member, Wes VB.
        Here is a link to a continuing history of this rifle.
        http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=11584,

Comment

• wesvb
          • Aug 2010

OK so now you've inspired to drag this thing out of the safe and start working with it again.
          I have tweaked and twiddled with the stock, bedding, crown, added a padded trigger guard, tried a milled guard for awhile all of which has gotten me no real improvement in group size. It does shoot better without the flash hider on it. One thing that Rich's gunsmith did that really hurt it was allow park into the bore. I can't tell if it goes all the way down but it is definitely in there.
          The groups are not bad by any means. I'm convinced from what I have seen though that it can shoot .5moa groups.
          I guess now I will make a real stab at finding the best load and go from there.
          Last edited by wesvb; 06-12-2012, 05:07 AM.

Comment

• kraigwy
            • Jun 2010

I have a question about the barrel being too short for 1000 yards.

When I shot for the AK NG I got some dern good 1000 yard Service Rifle Scores using my M1A (22 inch barrel) and 180 SMKs (old 180s that have been replaced by the 175 SMKs).

One year at 29 Palms we shot next to the USAMU Team, they fired a 799/800 using M14s and the 180s. (poor kid that dropped a point sure caught a ragging).

Anyway, ever try heavier bullets, such as the 175 SMKs at 1000.

I'm looking to sticking my Remington 5.56 in some sort of stock to try it as an F-Class gun, but I don't want to modify the device at all.

Saving grace is the Remington Action is already pre-drilled for mounts. I did mount a cheap Bushnell scope on it and stuck it in lite rest. I only had Speer 64 grn factor ammo for it. It did show promise.

My 80 SMKs (Long range 223 loads for my White Oak Service rifle) are too long. I have a precision match later this month, after its over I'll pull the target scope off my Model 70 243 and try that on the Mann.

I did try one of my "long" 80 Grn loads, ended up pulling it out which left the bullet in the barrel. Had to clean out the powder before I could do anything. That why I went to the Speer 64 factor bullets.

I did find out, one flake of R-15 between the barrel and bolt, will keep the bolt from locking up, even with nothing in the chamber. Sucker is tight.

When I get this LRPS match out of the way I'll start working on some sort of stock...................I can see now, regardlesswhat I do, this wont be an "off hand" gun.

These post have got me all fired up, I'm tempted to forgo all other projects and work the Mann project.

Comment

Working...
            X