Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2021, 05:33 PM

Latest version of Handloader magazine also has some Garand data with 4166
Old 07-27-2021, 11:40 PM

Tried some 4166 out this past weekend in my 03A3 and my Garand. Didn’t have a chronograph so I don’t know velocities I was just shooting for groups.
With 150 grain FMJ, I found that both 46.5 and 48 grains of 4166 will easily hold the 10 rings on a reduced 100 yard target.
With both a 168 Sierra and 168 A-max with 46.3-46.8 grains produced good groups and would easily hold the 10 ring.
Temperature that day was around 102 degrees. No pressure signs with any of those loads.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolarco View Post
pressure = velocity

No, it doesn't. Much more complicated than your simplistic statement. Use a fast powder and you will get high peak pressures and low velocity.

Varget is very good for M1 loads. Lots of championships won. Your shoulder is not a precision measurement tool. Stick to published loads and you will not hurt your M1.

Burn rate charts are like headspace gauges. Their primary purpose is to induce anxiety.

I don't see any reason to try new powders. 4064 and Varget give Xs. Hard to imagine what more I need.
Lot of wisdom here but if you are bent to try non traditional powders that the M1 Rifle was not designed to handle, perhaps buying a Schuster adjustable gas plug might be a good investment. This temptation to use any powder one can find rather than the correct powders for the M1 Rifle is a recipe for damaged rifles. Do the Schuster plugs work ..I'm told they do but can't say I've done it. At the anemic distances most M1 Rifles are shot today, Bisquick could be a good substitute powder ...I'm joking, don't have a heart attack !
Old 07-30-2021, 05:13 PM

Iíve used 4166 as my main 30-06 powder for milsurp and hunting loads since it came out. Shoots as good as 4064 and is advertised as temperature stable and has copper fouling inhibitors. Bores are easy to clean.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
I would like Hodgdon and the other companies to take the time and $$ they are expending on new powders (that we don't need) and use it to fill the shelves with the products that we do need. Good Shooting. ...

Hodgdon doesn't make a single powder. Never has. All they are doing is spending money on taking some bulk powder from one of the handful of powder makers (ADI/Thales, St Marks, Bofors, etc.), and slapping it in pretty little bottles.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:12 AM

They do have some powders made to their specs and only available from them.

But, as you said, they do not actually make any powders. But that doesn't mean they don't develop new powders for the market.

But making powders and developing powders are not one or the other. Developing powders is small batch operations, until they get what they want, and then the go into production.

Right now, every factory is running full speed making as much as they can to fill the market. But no one wants to spend the millions to increase production capacity, as the demand WILL drop, and they will not need that extra capacity.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEinConcord View Post
Iíve used 4166 as my main 30-06 powder for milsurp and hunting loads since it came out. Shoots as good as 4064 and is advertised as temperature stable and has copper fouling inhibitors. Bores are easy to clean.
That's fine with me.. Running out out of 4064 and have 5# of 4166 ready to go.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:45 PM

Default Really?

I'm going to sound like a know it all here......

What happened when Varget was introduced and no one had tried it in a Garand yet? A large number of folks started using it with excellent results by using safe, sound reloading techniques.

4166 will and does work wonderfully in an M1. Without data from manufacturer's of bullets or powder, and with a little bit of analytical skill you can use comparative numbers to determine a safe starting load with new powders. Am I telling inexperienced reloaders to go out and load 1K rounds with a powder that has a non-published load for a given cartridge without taking the time to work up a safe load........NO. What I am saying is that with caution and common sense, loads can be developed safely and effectively.

Before the data was available from Hodgden I had determined and confirmed that with a 155gr BTHP, 45.0 gr would be a great safe starting load and the "do not exceed" would be around 48.0 gr. Turns out I was a bit low. That's good. 47.0 ended up being a nice accurate load that functioned well.

Weird......
Old Today, 01:02 AM

Hiya,

Here's the link to the load data for the M1 from Hodgdon if you need it:

https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploa...-load-data.pdf

Tom