Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2020, 04:12 PM

Default Service Grade Mods

What’s allowed under “ careful fitment” of components to stay within guidelines for service grade M1 matches? Free-float rear hand-guard, remove areas of stock where op rod might bind? Peening gas cylinder? NM sights? Unitizing front hand guard? Thank you!
Old 04-26-2020, 12:51 PM

Not that I have a lot of experience but NM sights and unitizing the hand guards are not allowed for CMP games matches. NM sights not allowed but a regular aperture with a reduced diameter hole is allowed. Yes, clearance of the rear hand guard is allowed. Free floating may be unnecessary for games but WTH, you already have it off. Certainly ensuring a clearance between the rear of the hand guard and front of the receiver should be done. Definitely remove areas of op rod rubbing. Ensure trigger is not hitting on the stock. No bedding or shim materials allowed.
Now with all that said, I think you can do most of the “as issued” forbidden modifications but will have to shoot in the Unlimited garand class.
Might be worth reading Rule 4.2.2 if ya haven’t already.
Unlimited M1 Garand: National Match Garands, NM sights, synthetic bedding, shims, modified handguards, .308 caliber, etc. Any Garand that does not fully comply with CMP Rule 4.2.2 for As-Issued Garands.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:23 PM

Thanks, that’s what I thought—“careful whittling of stock interferences.” If I ever go the “unlimited” route, I’ll have to get myself a .308 Garand . . .