X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jakesdadjake
    • Feb 2014

M44us

Years ago someone was mfg aluminum replacement triggerguards for the M44US.
    Anybody know if those are still available or if perhaps there are other alternatives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vote for a Non-Lawyer this time
  • T38Carbine
    • Feb 2010

https://www.havlinsales.com/

Comment

• broomhandle
      • Feb 2016

There are GREAT people to deal with!

broomhandle

Comment

• dave tengdin
        • Oct 2009

I bought one of these M44's years ago but haven't ever shot it. Now I'm thinking about giving it a try. What kind of ammo do they like best? What sort of accuracy are they capable of?

Comment

• broomhandle
          • Feb 2016

Hi Dave,

They are accurate rifles the barrels were all hand lapped by people that did it correctly. It was a introduction to precision shooting & it did well for it's purpose. Stock shape is not bad, but there are other stocks that are better.

The stock trigger is OK ,but with a little work can be made much better.
          It will never be as good as Anzehutz, Winchester, Remington or H&R target rifle. But it much better then other so called accurate 22 rifles.

Does your twenty year old pickup have as much power & accessory's as a new 2021 Ford, Chevy or Chrysler pick up?
          I have my M-44 for about 55 years & I STILL love it!
          You will have people here willing to buy it if is posted for sale.

Try it you WILL like it!
          broom

Comment

• dave tengdin
            • Oct 2009

I bought it when CMP was selling them for $175 and it seemed they couldn't get rid of them even at that price. Mostly I've been shooting the 52-D, Kimber 82G, and Rem 40-X I bought because those are so much more capable, and match shooting was my primary focus. But shooting them is something of a production and formal. Some times a guy just wants to plink, and doesn't want to mess around with a 14 pound rifle. For that I have a bunch more; Win 1906, Win 62, Rem 121, MAS 45, Ans 1415-1416, Ruger 1022, Win 9422 / 9422M, Browning T-2, Springfield 1922 and the M44. Now you can see how I just might not have gotten around to shooting it!

I'm expecting it would probably shoot similar to either the T-2 (which isn't very accurate) or the MAS 45, but not as good as the Ans 1415-1416. Better than the pump gun repeaters

Comment

• T38Carbine
              • Feb 2010

I’m not a match shooter per say…but it will do way better than your average commercial.22. IMO

Comment

• captaincalc
                • Apr 2010

I've shot a lot of the CMP (surplus) Remington and Olin ammo out of mine and can expect mostly baseball to softball sized groups out of my 44US with them at a hundred yards. Sure some flyers here and there, but the little rifle shoots nice. I haven't really spent any time trying out any of the more exotic ammo through them. The gun is pretty much stock - tho' I did polish the trigger some, being very careful NOT to polish too much as the surface is case hardened as I recall. And as a matter of full-disclosure, my shots are generally off a rest only, hand held rest granted, but I don't do as well doing offhand, etc.

Comment

• Charlie Flick
                  • Jun 2010

Originally posted by jakesdadjake View Post
                  Years ago someone was mfg aluminum replacement triggerguards for the M44US. Anybody know if those are still available or if perhaps there are other alternatives?
                  The guy who was making the machined aluminum trigger guards stopped making them about 10 years ago. They were excellent and fit perfectly.

Havlins does have a modern plastic reproduction. I have bought a couple of them. They are not drop in pieces as they require some hand fitting. Even so, they are about the only game in town for these TGs and with a little bit of work on your part you will end up with an acceptable replacement.

Regards,
                  Charlie

Comment

• broomhandle
                    • Feb 2016

Hi Fellows,

I took my warped -TRIGGER- guard off & put it in hot water till it softened up a bit had to do it three or four times to get the feel for it!
                    It finally snapped in place with a two or three clamps & the original screws. Have some one handy because you need four hands!
                    It still fits correctly eight years later. If your breaks Havlin is there as a back up! Knowing there was a "backup" allowed me to give it a try!

Good LUCK,
                    broom
                    Last edited by broomhandle; 06-19-2021, 12:03 PM. Reason: Corrected post- hand guard to Trigger guard

Comment

• Normanclature
                      • Jan 2010

Is it safe to shoot .22 longs and .22 shorts in the M44?

Comment

• broomhandle
                        • Feb 2016

Yes you may need a original mag to feed from the mag! It works well & it is very quiet.

broom

Comment

• edlmann
                          • Oct 2009

Only thing I'd add is that you need to clean the chamber well after shooting shorts. Assuming that shorts even still exist.
                          A few variations on the black-cat-in-a-dark-room analogy:
                          1. Philosophy is like being in a dark room and looking for a black cat.
                          2. Metaphysics is like being in a dark room and looking for a black cat that isn't there.
                          3. Under Marxism, it's like being in a dark room, looking for a black cat that isn't there, and the State announces, "We found it!"

Comment

• Normanclature
                            • Jan 2010

Thanks Broom.

I have a repro mag with the screw for the shorter cartridge. If that does not work, I will single load.
                            From your response, I assume you have shot the longs and shorts from an M44 and that it is safe to do so and that it will not damage the rifle. I only have a few of these that I will be sending down the bbl.

Comment

• Normanclature
                              • Jan 2010

And thank you edlmann for that advice on cleaning the chamber.

Comment

Working...
                              X