X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blacksmith
    • Nov 2011

Mann .30 Carbine Cal. Sold At Auction

Here is a link to a .30 Carbine caliber Mann Accurcacy Device that was sold at auction. It has a different barrel contour than most pictured. Made by Remington Arms Inc. dated 1963. Hover over immages for closeup.
    http://rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/53/lid/1877

Blacksmith
  • moose
    • Feb 2012

I don't think this one is USGI. Perhaps Remington testing 30 carbine ammo for the commercial market?

Not with a 63 date, the ARMY was trying to get out of the 30 carbine use....
    US Nylon Field gear 1967 to 2005
    http://inrd.gotdns.com/alice

Comment

• VMFn542bob
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
      Here is a link to a .30 Carbine caliber Mann Accurcacy Device that was sold at auction. It has a different barrel contour than most pictured. Made by Remington Arms Inc. dated 1963. Hover over immages for closeup.

Blacksmith
      The 1903-A3 Remington receiver attached to the sawed off pistol grip of a 1903 scant stock looks exactly like both of my MANN barrels.
      The barrel is sized down on both ends which would accomodate a split donut for firing it in a "V" block.
      At one time I found pictures of a lot of variations of the donuts used with the MANN in a "V" block.
      Among them was a split donut version.
      Those images no longer reside anywhere in syber space (at least within my search capabilities).
      I feel certain it was made for the Army arsenal that makes 30 Carbine ammo.
      I only wonder why it was not made available to the CMP when the Arsenal was through with it.
      The answer is probably ownership.
      The Army can't give something to the CMP that it does not own.
      Do you know the date of the auction?
      Last edited by VMFn542bob; 06-05-2012, 04:48 PM.
      A veteran is someone who once signed a blank check payable to The United States of America in an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• kraigwy
        • Jun 2010

Remington furnished ammo to the military, so they would pretty much have to use the Mann like everyone else.

It's my understanding that the CMP did recieve 30 cal and even 45 cal Mann devices. I believe they weren't sold because of the barrel length was too short. Forgot where I read that.

Comment

• VMFn542bob
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by kraigwy View Post
          Remington furnished ammo to the military, so they would pretty much have to use the Mann like everyone else.

It's my understanding that the CMP did recieve 30 cal and even 45 cal Mann devices. I believe they weren't sold because of the barrel length was too short. Forgot where I read that.
          Ref : The CMP's Steven T. Rutledge's report :
          .22 Hornet Devices
          There were only nine of the .22 Hornet devices on hand.
          It is my understanding that the barrels will be removed and sold separately from the receivers.
          (They all had short barrels which qualified them as a hand gun)
          I sure wish the CMP had held on to them for a later opinion. Many CMP membera have aFederal Licence to have purchased them.)

.30 Caliber Carbine
          (There is no reference to the number of these given to the CMP or their disposition. They all had 18 inch barrels so I assume they were sold.
          This was a long time ago so perhaps this is one of them.)
          A veteran is someone who once signed a blank check payable to The United States of America in an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• kraigwy
            • Jun 2010

That's right, it was the Hornet, not the Carbine.

Sorry for the screw up.

I'd sure like to get one of both, a Hornet and Carbine.

Comment

• Blacksmith
              • Nov 2011

Auction Date:
              Premiere Collector's Firearms Auction - September 9, 10 & 11, 2011

I came across the image and listing while Googling.

Blacksmith

Comment

• kraigwy
                • Jun 2010

Wonder what the device sold for?

Listed est. value was $1000-2000 but doen't say what it sold for.

This also says something about the 1903a3 actions and long actions not being as accurate as short actions.

Comment

• crewdoil
                  • Oct 2011

They used to sell 30 carbine mann devices, almost bought one. One day they were all sold. That prompted me to save coins and get a 7.62 .

Comment

• VMFn542bob
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post

Blacksmith
                    Here are enhanced close up pictures from the link.

Comment

Working...
                    X