X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brianm767
    • Mar 2011

Need to add a carbine to my collection questions

I've never owned a carbine, thinking of trading a Garand towards one or flipping one to buy the carbine.

Looking for something equivalent to a field or service grade.

Can I get a GI one for $800-900?

I know nothing about them as far as manufactures numbers produced.

What should I expect or look for
    Last edited by brianm767; 09-30-2019, 11:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
  • T38Carbine
    • Feb 2010

Like all milsurp purchases...it pays to do your homework. Get a book and study. You should probably be able to get one in the price range you mentioned...but if you add a few hundred you’ll probably find something in better condition. Good luck!!

Comment

• 6 Ring
      • Apr 2010

You are on the Left coast and they run a little higher there if you buy local. GB, yes, you can get one for $900 including shipping and FFL fee. However some people will not sell to California. So check that out first.

Comment

• ernie
        • Oct 2009

in my opinion that is the lower end of what a real nice one would cost. Think $1000 and up a bit for a real nice one that would be excellent for shooting. Most of what you will find in that price range will be rebuilt so generally quantity produced does not mean a great deal unless its a more difficult one to find like Rock Ola or Irwin Pederson, or maybe Winchester as a lot of people collect Winchester rifles.

Educate yourself on these little rifles before you buy so you dont make a mistake. In terms of resale value I would shy away from Import marked ones. Take your time and dont rush and you will probably find what you wish.

There is a big difference in value between collectable originals and ones that have been rebuilt but rebuilt ones in excellent condition can shoot very well. All of this is my opinion of course.

I see you live in California, I know they have some different laws and I am aware that there is a restriction on magazine size. Make sure you know the laws as applies to where you live.

Comment

• meplat
          • Jan 2010

Yes, read books first, but read the right books. One of my favorite quotes

Originally posted by anon
          If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

Comment

• W5USMC
            • Sep 2017

some great advice/info in the link below.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/...topic1301.html

Comment

• brianm767
              • Mar 2011

Yes I am very aware of California gun laws and mag restrictions. Most likely I will not purchase the firearm in California, as mentioned prices do run much higher here, I would probably purchase it off GunBroker or on one of the forms I'm a member of. I also understand in the price range I'm looking at or maybe up to $1,000 I'm looking at a Mixmaster just like my CMP garandsabd that's just fine with me, in fact I wouldn't mind having a CMP one. It would be nice to get one with original barrel and a GI stock. Good thought about trying to avoid import marks, but if the price is appreciate with one I'd consider it.

Comment

• 309Carbine
                • Feb 2017

Good luck on your hunt. Carbines were imported before the GCA of 1968 that required an importers stamp. There can be absolutely no difference in condition between a pre-1968 imported carbine and a post-1968 imported carbine....except for the dreaded mark. It's a head-thing for a collector. You can get a carbine that sux or a very good one regardless of an import mark. Look to get a discount if it's marked, but it depends on the maker and condition. It will have the same internals and function just as well as one not marked. You very well can get a marked gun that is in better condition than one that isn't.

Getting a gun sold and shipped into California can be a real PITA no matter where it comes from. The last time I sold one there, the poor guy like to have never got his gun. The dealers are extremely snobbish and demanding of things that Federal law does not restrict. Sellers outside of California just don't want to fool with it.

Comment

• brianm767
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by 309Carbine View Post

Getting a gun sold and shipped into California can be a real PITA no matter where it comes from. The last time I sold one there, the poor guy like to have never got his gun. The dealers are extremely snobbish and demanding of things that Federal law does not restrict. Sellers outside of California just don't want to fool with it.
                  Yes I deal with it all the time, and the unfortunate thing is Im the Fresno/Clovis area which is in the central part of the sate. So the best FFL I have to use around here charges me $45 per each firearm + the states $25 fee plus state sales tax which he is now required to collect.

Hes great to deal with except he will not accept from a private individual, he says the law requires it to come from a FFL which is not correct, but its his business.

I have helped educate a few dealers on GB who wouldn't sell to Ca because they didn't know the laws, I sent them an assault weapons flow chart off calguns.net and they then started dealing with this 3rd world nation.

Mags I have sent to my daughters house in Utah then I can block them to 10 rounds then bring them into Cali on my next visit. But I do have hundreds of mags of numerous manufactures of firearms, many that i dont even have the gun for, But I bought them prior to the year 2000 and during this years one week open window and now they are grandfathered in. ( as long as the court stay stays in place on the recent ban) I see some FFL's on GB charge an extra $25 for sales to Ca for the extra work, the only extra work is they have to register to sell to CA, a quick online form, once that is done they have to include that number with their shipments. So not only does the state stick us, so do some dealers.

Of course I would never do anything illegal, but in reality there is no way for the state to know if ones mags were purchased prior to 2000 or during this years one week open window or at a later date.
                  Last edited by brianm767; 09-30-2019, 03:16 PM.

Comment

• AutogunNY
                    • Oct 2018

I always check the online gun auction sites, (GunBroker, Guns America, Auction Arms, to name a few, there are more), to get a consensus, most decent examples will run well over $1k... You may have to settle for an 'import', for less than that... I have also picked up several early commercials, built with some G.I. parts... You may get lucky, over the years, I picked up an 'original' IBM, from a retired LEO, and a NRA-DCM Inland, from an acquaintance, who had ordered it back in 1960...

Originally posted by brianm767 View Post
                    Yes I deal with it all the time, and the unfortunate thing is Im the Fresno/Clovis area which is in the central part of the sate. So the best FFL I have to use around here charges me $45 per each firearm + the states $25 fee plus state sales tax which he is now required to collect.

Hes great to deal with except he will not accept from a private individual, he says the law requires it to come from a FFL which is not correct, but its his business.

I have helped educate a few dealers on GB who wouldn't sell to Ca because they didn't know the laws, I sent them an assault weapons flow chart off calguns.net and they then started dealing with this 3rd world nation.

Mags I have sent to my daughters house in Utah then I can block them to 10 rounds then bring them into Cali on my next visit. But I do have hundreds of mags of numerous manufactures of firearms, many that i dont even have the gun for, But I bought them prior to the year 2000 and during this years one week open window and now they are grandfathered in. ( as long as the court stay stays in place on the recent ban) I see some FFL's on GB charge an extra $25 for sales to Ca for the extra work, the only extra work is they have to register to sell to CA, a quick online form, once that is done they have to include that number with their shipments. So not only does the state stick us, so do some dealers.

Of course I would never do anything illegal, but in reality there is no way for the state to know if ones mags were purchased prior to 2000 or during this years one week open window or at a later date.
                    In NY state, they made AR-15's and 8+ mags illegal, along with a lot of other things, that have nothing to do with crime... They even made it illegal, to alter any magazine, to take less rounds, (and adding a 'block' also does not make a mag 'legal') ... There was a time window to 'register' AR's, but once registered, it could never be sold, transferred, or even willed to a family member, upon your death, it becomes property of the state... Let that sink in when politicians tell you they only want you to 'register' your guns... Right now, with Dems in total control, NYS is working on an internet parts ban, and I'm sure the total internet sales ban will soon follow...
                    Last edited by Big_Red; 01-10-2020, 11:31 PM. Reason: Combine consecutive posts

Comment

• vagrant
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by AutogunNY
                      In NY state, they made AR-15's and 8+ mags illegal, along with a lot of other things, that have nothing to do with crime...
                      It was never about crime.
                      People, use adverbs please. CORRECT: Do it quickly. INCORRECT: Do it quick. You don't say, "Go there immediate", do you?

Comment

• letterman
                        • Oct 2009

brianm767, I know there’s a lot of talk about GB, I would like to suggest that you might also look at Cabelas Gun Library. They sell Military guns also, I bought a Saginaw from them two or three years ago at a very reasonable price. If there’s a store close to you they will transfer it to that store. Mike

Comment

• GotSnlB28
                          • Oct 2010

Cabela's is typically way overpriced, aside of the occasional deal. I did buy a nice mostly original SP from them a few years ago for an excellent price. But, at least at the Richfield store, most carbines I have seen there were "corrected" and some had fake parts, priced outrageously. I still look there when I'm in the area, look being the key word.

Comment

• letterman
                            • Oct 2009

Cabelas Farmington Utah has an IBM carbine listed for $1139.99
                            Last edited by letterman; 01-10-2020, 02:54 PM. Reason: Price

Comment

• RASelkirk
                              • Nov 2014

I found my non-import, no-rebuild Inland 6900xxx hand stamp at a local gun show in '14, it came with 450 rounds of PPU and 11 20-rd mags for $760. There are deals out there...

Russ

Comment

Working...
                              X