Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2022, 09:39 PM

Gewehr43…

I’m not making any arguments. I’m not as smart as you or many other very well respected people who might argue differently than you. Whatever works or makes your day is all that matters. I’m just adding my 2cents.

I suppose you could be right about a new barrel being oversized when new. Maybe Garands were (often)? I have no idea. My experience is not that. But most of my experience is not in military surplus (as mentioned previously).
The TE measurement (my M1) was just information. Nothing more. Thought I was clear on that, but if I ruffled anyone with that - I apologize (wasn’t intended).

Just have fun….and great days enjoying your rifle.

I am….
Old 09-22-2022, 09:41 PM

…and TE does affect your COL

And it’s not reverse math. Pretty straight forward actually.

In case it was missed or lost, my overall experience is that it’d be pretty damn hard to get small jump and I can’t imagine the bullet needed to get jam.

Last edited by jhelmuth; 09-22-2022 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelmuth View Post
Gewehr43…

I’m not making any arguments. I’m not as smart as you or many other very well respected people who might argue differently than you. Whatever works or makes your day is all that matters. I’m just adding my 2cents.

I suppose you could be right about a new barrel being oversized when new. Maybe Garands were (often)? I have no idea. My experience is not that. But most of my experience is not in military surplus (as mentioned previously).
The TE measurement (my M1) was just information. Nothing more. Thought I was clear on that, but if I ruffled anyone with that - I apologize (wasn’t intended).

Just have fun….and great days enjoying your rifle.

I am….
Nor am I and I am not smart....................
But these TE gauges comes up every so often and what they mean (or don't) is always atleast 1-3 pages of angst.
And when it comes to Garands there was a large variation in the chamber dimensions (after all they only made 6? 7? 8? Million by how many different manufacturers) and few if any would measure "0."
I too have no interest in "ruffling any feathers," to be honest though sometimes those TE gauges are more trouble than worth.

Besides regardless of TE, bullet jump, etc etc your M1 will "tell" you pretty rapidly how accurate it is (or not) and whether there is any point in spending alot of time on load development.

Last edited by Gewehr43; 09-22-2022 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:50 PM

Last…. I did get the 155gr ELDs today. Not much better. I’m 0.010 closer - but at an unacceptable COL. So (once again) jump will. E large enough that it’s not going to aid in accuracy. In my opinion anyway…
Old 09-22-2022, 09:57 PM

A gauge is just a tool to give you knowledge about what your dealing with.
I use them that way anyway….

Regardless of why it’s oversized, it still has he exact same affect on the barrel and how much life is left.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:58 PM

And absolutely agree with the limits of an M1. Its not designed to be a BR rifle