Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2021, 02:07 PM

Default ECI Safety Flag and Revolver

What is the CMP rule on the safety flag and revolver use?
Cylinder or Barrel?
Rule # and page number?

NRA Rule for that matter too....

I cannot seem to locate in the rule book, help is appreciated!

Thanks
Old 05-12-2021, 03:05 PM

The NRA used to say either one, but it appears now it goes in the cylinder, since the barrel on a revolver is not the chamber:
3.21 Empty Chamber Indicator (ECI) - An ECI is required in all NRA Sanctioned Pistol competitions to indicate the slide is open and the chamber is empty. The ECI, when inserted into the revolver or pistol must extend into the empty chamber or cylinder and must be externally visible.

The CMP does not specify which, since they are new to the revolver game. Per their rule, I would guess it would go into the cylinder, since that's where the chambers are:
3.6.1 Safety Flags
Safety Flags (formerly called Empty Chamber Indicators or ECIs) must be placed in all pistols when they are removed from a vehicle and/or carried on a range whether they are carried in a pistol box or case or are carried uncased. Safety flags may only be removed during preparation and firing periods. Safety flags must be fluorescent orange, yellow or a similar bright color and must have a probe that inserts into the chamber and a visible flag that projects out from the open gun action.

I doubt if anyone will call you on it, if you put it in the barrel.

Last edited by CDRT; 05-12-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:55 PM

Ok covers it! Actually did get called on it at Perry match several years ago. Running a few matches now and want to do it right and find chapter and verse! Thanks so much!
Old 05-13-2021, 03:03 PM

Makes sense to be in the cylinder. But I would think that while carting the pistol it could fall out unless one makes sure to check it often.

The real interesting scenario involves any revolver that the cylinder cannot be swung open, like a SAA.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRT View Post
The NRA used to say either one, but it appears now it goes in the cylinder, since the barrel on a revolver is not the chamber:
3.21 Empty Chamber Indicator (ECI) - An ECI is required in all NRA Sanctioned Pistol competitions to indicate the slide is open and the chamber is empty. The ECI, when inserted into the revolver or pistol must extend into the empty chamber or cylinder and must be externally visible.

The CMP does not specify which, since they are new to the revolver game. Per their rule, I would guess it would go into the cylinder, since that's where the chambers are:
3.6.1 Safety Flags
Safety Flags (formerly called Empty Chamber Indicators or ECIs) must be placed in all pistols when they are removed from a vehicle and/or carried on a range whether they are carried in a pistol box or case or are carried uncased. Safety flags may only be removed during preparation and firing periods. Safety flags must be fluorescent orange, yellow or a similar bright color and must have a probe that inserts into the chamber and a visible flag that projects out from the open gun action.

I doubt if anyone will call you on it, if you put it in the barrel.
The guy next to me at the Harry Reeves Match at Perry got called out on an ECI in the barrel one year. He said “it’s an empty CHAMBER indicator” maybe three times even though no one had challenged him. It’s kind of goofy because you can close a cylinder with live rounds in an S&W L-frame and still technically have a weedwhacker line in the last chamber…..oh well, not worth arguing about.

Tags
eci revolver