X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sigman2
    • Oct 2009

M1 Clipped Ammo Repacking - 384 Rd. 50 Cal. Can

Some folks prefer to open their spam cans and repack the ammo in M1 clips and bandoleers. By following this guide you can condense 1 case/384 rds. of clipped ammo in bandoleers into 1 50 cal. can.

I cannot remember who sent me this or where it came from. No credit is due me. Thanks to the "Wizard" and someone else.

Follow these instructions closely:

Got this off a board a while back. Hope "the Wizard" doesn't mind the repost...

Packing Instructions for M2 Ball Ammo in Bandoleers for 384 Rd. Can

Take the Box, Ammunition, M2A1 and open it and remove the lid. Place the box in front of you; hinge side to your left.

Take bandoleer, M1 filled with 6 8-round clips of cartridges, caliber .30, M2, ball and fold in half and wrap the shoulder strap around lengthwise to form a tight bundle 3 clips long and 2 clips height. Place “bundle” into the box with the clips against the inner wall next to you and pushed against the inner wall of the hinge side.

Fold a second filled bandoleer exactly as the first. Place it, bullets pointing down, between the first bandoleer and the inner wall of the box away from you.

Fold a third bandoleer as the first and second and place it on top of the first bandoleer BUT with the clips facing towards the center of the box.

The fourth bandoleer is folded into thirds and the strap is wrapped around to form a tight bundle. This bundle is placed, clips touching the bottom of the box, next to the inner wall next to you (2 clips) and the inner wall of the side opposite the hinge side (3 clips).

The fifth bandoleer is folded as the fourth and is placed, bullets pointed down, in the cavity created by the first four bandoleers.

The sixth bandoleer is folded as bandoleers as the 1st, 2nd and 3rd and placed on top of third bandoleer with the clips against the inner wall of the box next to you and tight against the inner wall of the hinge side.

The seventh bandoleer is folded as the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th and is placed, bullets pointing down, between the 6th bandoleer and the inner wall of the box away from you tight against the inner walls of the hinge side.

The eighth bandoleer is folded as the 4th and 5th and is place in the recess that remains, the axis of the cartridges parallel to the long axis of the box. This bandoleer should be placed so that two clips are across the top and three clips deep.

I think I covered it all. Hope this helps.
    The Wizard

CMP Customer # 131290
    NRA Patron Member
    Garand Collectors Association
    Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
    http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
  • Rondog
    • Oct 2009

I finally got around to trying this, and by George, it DOES work!!! Takes a little oomph to get the lid closed and latched, but it will. Whoda thunk it, two spam cans of HXP stuffed into one GI can! Sure makes better use of my storage space.

With the white ammo boxes from Midway, I could only get 180 rounds into a .50 can, this way I can get 384 in the same can, in clips and bandos, ready to shoot. I like it.

Comment

• Chopper
      • Jan 2011

I know this is an old thread, but I just tried it for the first time and it worked out really well. And it wasn't much trouble getting the lid closed.

Thank you!

Comment

• Uncle Mike
        • Oct 2009

Hi, I got this picture I believe, on this Forum. Who ever originally posted it thanks , regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

Comment

• skwchock
          • May 2018

This is great. REALLY HELPFUL. Thanks.

Comment

• Cmpuser410
            • Mar 2016

Packing a 30 cal can

Hi all
            I’m a getting lazy and don’t like toting full 50 cal cans so I’m repacking ammo into a 30 cal cans. Question is: Is there a way put five bandoleers of M2 on en blocs with cardboards into a 30 cal can for a total of 240 rounds. The best I been able to do still leaves the last row a tad high.
            Did a (brief) search of the web and did not find any useful info.

Comment

• skwchock
              • May 2018

Good question. I would like to know, too. Agree that the .50 cal cans are heavy. The .30 cal cans are easier to carry.

Comment

• AFJon
                • Feb 2012

I'm pretty sure you'll have to remove the bandoliers to get it to work.
                USAF 1989-2012
                295 Missions under Montana, and more trips to Korea and the Middle East than I care to remember.
                "To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."

Comment

• Kansas Poster
                  • Jul 2010

Originally posted by AFJon View Post
                  I'm pretty sure you'll have to remove the bandoliers to get it to work.
                  Yes

Remove all the bandoliers and you can get 35 enblocs and cardboards in a 30 cal can.

I see no way to get five complete bandoliers in the can.
                  Operation Positive Attitude.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here https://forums.thecmp.org/forum/mark...oster-feedback

Comment

• skwchock
                    • May 2018

Thanks. Very Helpful.

Comment

• Cmpuser410
                      • Mar 2016

Got to thinking about removing the en blocs from the bandoleers, putting in the en blocs and put the empty bandoleers on top. Then I noticed there was some space at the top of the can but not in the right place. I took 3 en blocs out of the last bandoleer, put them in the open spaces and was able to close and secure the lid as normal. Probably not ‘by the book’ but was able to put in the 240 rounds.

Why am I wanting 240? For ease of counting inventory. I keep 250 round in a can if it is loose, 240 for en blocs and 220 for boxed. The quantity tells me the way it is packaged and counting the number of cans of each amount makes inventorying easy. OCD I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                      X