Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2022, 02:06 PM

I also watched a GCA video I can't remember what it was called but mark johnson said there was 40k more in the Philippines that where still out in the field when they got the 86k and they where in the works.I don't know but maybe the ones they where still using are in better condition then the one they returned but most likely not.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insurance guy View Post
The GCA journal, winter of 2017, indicated Turkey still had over a 100k Garands and efforts were being made to get them back. The GCA journal, fall of 2017, also had an article on the South Korean Garands and efforts were being made on getting them, back. So who knows ?
This is just my opinion, but the examples of the Turk and ROK rifles I have seen leave a lot to be desired.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:43 PM

Default M1

if you get a chance to look at the GCA 2017 Fall Journal, article includes some very nice pictures. But again, who knows.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insurance guy View Post
The GCA journal, winter of 2017, indicated Turkey still had over a 100k Garands and efforts were being made to get them back. The GCA journal, fall of 2017, also had an article on the South Korean Garands and efforts were being made on getting them, back. So who knows ?
Would of course love to see more of the Turks coming back, despite the conditions I personally saw from the prior set.

The most rust I've seen on a Service Grade, and dirt and grass from all sorts of orifices across multiple rifles, lol;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c137qp3s8n...11914.jpg?dl=0

Was amused honestly; anything that comes back to the US is a 'win'.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:22 PM

https://www.armslocker.com/threads/m...-40682&slide=0
M1s in scrap yard in Turkey
They sold the stocks for firewood.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP68 View Post
My statement is based on assumption that majority of the Philippines rifles need to be re-barreled, and otherwise overhauled to be sellable/shootable.
That is what rack grades used to be. They sold just fine as they were back in the day. There is no need whatsoever for cmp to put in any effort beyond grading and putting them on the racks.

Last edited by Fogtripper; 01-24-2022 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:21 PM

I had the pleasure to participate in one of the last Advanced Maintenance classes in Anniston before Covid. This was in December 2019. We were taken to the area where the Philippine rifles were stored, and the crates were originally emptied and contents inspected. This is where non Garand weapons were removed, and or the exceptional and collectables were also sorted out. Another visit was to the actual shop where the balance of the M1's were sent for inspection and repair. Let's just say that the shop had bins and bins of unusable stocks taken off those rifles. Many were being torn completely down to the receiver with bins and bins of various parts in need of refinishing, including receivers. I was frankly amazed at the size and contents of the part bins. Any "special" parts that were usable but removed from receivers needing refinish or damaged were often put aside by the various "smiths" to be used in replacement builds.
I recall being told that the CMP was not happy with the output of the various "smiths" as they had expectations of so many rifles per day output. However, due to the sorry state of the rifles, with most requiring a number of parts replaced, the shop was way behind deliveries as a result.
Anyone who actually received a GI stock on a Philippine return had the exception not the rule.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:41 PM

I had a similar experience at the AMC class in early 2017. Back then they were processing Turkish returns. It seemed that most of those also needed new stocks. Most had odd blondish colored stocks of some unknown wood. I think all of those got tossed into bins too.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32sbct View Post
I had a similar experience at the AMC class in early 2017. Back then they were processing Turkish returns. It seemed that most of those also needed new stocks. Most had odd blondish colored stocks of some unknown wood. I think all of those got tossed into bins too.
Unfortunately it is clear that it was a lot more than the stocks that needed to be tossed. The fact that everything offered for sale since November has been new commercial barrels indicates that most of the barrels were trash. Plus before they discontinued the Special Rack grade we saw pictures of some VERY pitted receivers on a couple of those rifles. Most Experts also appear to have refinished receivers. Clearly it is going to take MUCH longer to disassemble a rifle, remove the barrel, refinish the parts, and then rebuild the rifle from scratch using the refinished receiver and a new barrel than it is to clean up a rifle, replace a few parts and stick it in a new stock. They may have enough parts to catch up the backlog but I still doubt that we will not see any Service Grade M1's being offered in the future unless a new source is found.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:19 PM

We hope the current CEO has a long term plan fully laid out for the CMP and it's mission going forward. All contingencies considered a year or two ago.
Fingers crossed that's in place and it isn't a "We didn't see this coming" scenario. If it's in place, Way To Go!