Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2021, 07:20 PM

I have used PMC 230 Gr. JHP, Remington 230 Gr. Golden Sabre and HTP, and currently, HPR 230 Gr. JHP. These have performed well in the three 1911s and two Ballester Molinas I have tried them in.

I have also had good results with my handloaded Hornady XTPs in 200 and 230 grains. I'm sure Hornady factory ammo would perform well.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 07-20-2021, 08:23 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
That functions in our guns?

Apologies if already posted, couldn't find via search
They all fall to hardball LOL...not.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:40 PM

Despite the mythical properties 45 hardball has ascribed to it, in reality both 45 and 9mm ( if you believe any of the old Marshall and sanow research) is about equal at 60-65% effective.
Much of that old research has been discredited however.
My sample of one a Albany rebuild with a Remington rand frame and post war slide and barrel has not complained with everything from 155 swc lead ( which I never expected to run so was surprised) to 230 grain ball as well as federal hi shock 230 hollow point
You just never know.
Years ago I had an all original 1917 production pistol that would likewise run everything I could put in it.
Other examples may be more finicky
Old 07-24-2021, 09:42 PM

My RR/Ithaca SG is an outstanding firearm, but it is a safe queen that is beside my S&W M1917 .45 revolver in the safe.

I say this because there are better choices for carry/home defense than an (at least) 76 year old gun with an unknown round-count.

Run FMJ through your CMP. Critical Duty or HST for your EDC.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
My RR/Ithaca SG is an outstanding firearm, but it is a safe queen that is beside my S&W M1917 .45 revolver in the safe.

I say this because there are better choices for carry/home defense than an (at least) 76 year old gun with an unknown round-count.

Run FMJ through your CMP. Critical Duty or HST for your EDC.
Less expensive options with more assured reliability as well.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:18 PM

The FBI for many years favored Remington Golden Saber in 230gr because it has a very close ogive to the XM1911 hardball round. Mine's not a CMP (hand built from an Essex frame-slide kit by a Boeing gun-club buddy and sold to me when his wife told him "if you want that new Glock you gotta sell something"), but it's GI spec in feedramp and everything else important and it's been packing Speer 53966 230gr Gold Dots almost my entire adult life. I would follow my local LE and move to HST as I did when they moved from Hydra-Shok to Gold Dot, but I just haven't found them at a good caselot price when I've had cash flow available.

Just a humble opinion as a historian, the CMP's are historical artifacts better for the range; if you're looking for a 1911 to go On Duty where it might not come back to you in the aftermath look at a Springer or a basic Colt 1991 with a throat job.

Not a collector or a connoisseur, just somebody who's had his life and the lives of those around him depend on a 1911 every day for almost two decades; admittedly, still have a lot to learn.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:41 PM

While I could depend on my cmp gun for defense, and have carried it as such a few times, I agree I would not use it as a routine defensive gun, if for no other reason than I would not want it confiscated and taken into evidence if I had to use it with the possibility of it never being returned.
For many decades there have been people depending on some pretty old guns for defense though. Into the early 1950’s it was not uncommon in the southwest to have some lawmen carrying black powder era single action army revolvers.
Also the typical colt official police and S&W K frames used by police from before WWII to the 1980’s we often handed down from officer to officer as cops retired and such. I heard it was pretty common in some agencies for a father to retire and give his son a duty revolver to start his career with. So some model 10 type revolvers may have served 50 years or more.
When I served in NYC on a military mission in the wake of 9/11, there were some cops still carrying blued model 10’s
Old 07-30-2021, 03:56 PM

Assuming it was properly maintained over the decades and maybe occasional spring replacements, even Wyatt Earp's old blackpowder Peacemaker could still be lethally effective in skilled hands. Not the BEST choice for the job, but still not to be casually dismissed.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:21 PM

What are you defending for???? I don''t think Russian paratroopers are dropping any time soon. If you wan to kill someone, I suggest a semi wad cutter, most shoot out take place with 20 feet
Old 07-30-2021, 06:02 PM

Pretty much any modern Jacketed Hollowpoint is usually good enough on terminal ballistics; a trainer I highly respect usually recommends "find out what your local PD issues and carry that."

Nobody WANTS to "kill somebody" here, the goal is to stop a deadly-force attacker before they can do harm to us or our loved ones.