Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2021, 04:07 PM

Default What am I missing here

Other than the obvious Winchester in a M1A stock, what else drove this up so high. Uneducated bidders? The stock is even a repro and their wording is so vague.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/904246825

Participating in a gun buyback program because you think criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbor has too many kids.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:33 PM

What I see from all the pictures is a scrubbed M2 late Winchester in a after market stock like you have asked about . If I would have seen this at a Gun Show , I would have wiped my finger prints off of it . My Thoughts , Bob
Old 07-19-2021, 04:51 PM

Nowhere do the words "original" or "correct" or "proper" appear. It is what it is. Guys have to be diligent in their purchasing. Some poor fool is going to be hammered. Sorry for the "winner". Also, I do agree it is a scrubbed M2.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:56 PM

I do not believe this receiver has been scrubbed. I see a very light '1' where it should be. Late Winchester's have very light stampings on the ring. If I'm not mistaken, this is also too early a serial to be an M2.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:01 PM

No expert here, but didn't they stop stamping them very late in the war? It allowed the Depots to stamp them with a 2 and make them into a 2. But this one may well be a scrubbed 2 and then over-stamped into a 1. Not to easy to tell from the photos. I would pass on this Carbine.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:13 PM

It looks to me to be a nice rebuilt, restored with incorrect parts, late M1 Winchester in a commercial stock, which normally would sell for $ 1,400. So someone just got a $3,000 education.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:43 AM

Unbelieveable!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2021, 11:40 AM

It's listings like this that upset me for our hobby. This is a professional gun shop who supposedly did research. The first, and plain sight, bit of info would be that Winchester did not make M1A. They worded the listing just right to deceive someone.

Participating in a gun buyback program because you think criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbor has too many kids.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horticattleman View Post
It's listings like this that upset me for our hobby. They worded the listing just right to deceive someone.
Agree, but not sure what upsets me more, the (sleazy car salesman like tactics) that some so called professional gun shops use to prey on the uneducated buyers or the "GB Top Sellers" who decide to impose their own restrictions on who they will sell too. This is quote from a GB top seller out of Apopka Fla. from a carbine listing.

"We will ship to a C&R License only if the caliber is obsolete and/or not a readily available cartridge. This is our company policy."
Old 07-20-2021, 01:21 PM

The listing agent presented his item, the buyer purchased as was his prerogative. No one was coerced, it’s all good!!