Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2021, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLimit View Post
I ordered a VG-Fine. From what I have seen its no better if not worse than some G-VG. Little bit of a mix master on the parts from what I was hoping for as well. Glad to finally have one but learned a lesson buying site unseen. Knowing what I know now I would not do it again. I feel like better deals can be had hunting local or even gun broker. Yall have a look and let me know your thoughts. First time posting photos like this I hope I have it figured out.
NoLimit - I'd just remember it's "honest" and because you know where it came from you know it's not a gun show hump special. I agree, I would've been looking for more "matched" parts, but then again M1 Carbines don't always work that way. I opted for G-VG because in early posts people were pointing out that the VG-F models in pictures had a few obvious replacement parts. I would've only gone VG-F if I was hoping for all matched (or whatever, you know what I mean), but once it became apparent that wasn't the deal, there was no reason to pay the premium and I was more at ease with G-VG money anyways.

Either way, it's yours - it's honest - and it's in great shape!
Old 06-12-2021, 06:16 PM

Big congrats to those of you who scored a Midway carbine. Looks like the whole process played out real real well in my opinion. You just can't get'm like this.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL_G8GT View Post
NoLimit - I'd just remember it's "honest" and because you know where it came from you know it's not a gun show hump special. I agree, I would've been looking for more "matched" parts, but then again M1 Carbines don't always work that way. I opted for G-VG because in early posts people were pointing out that the VG-F models in pictures had a few obvious replacement parts. I would've only gone VG-F if I was hoping for all matched (or whatever, you know what I mean), but once it became apparent that wasn't the deal, there was no reason to pay the premium and I was more at ease with G-VG money anyways.

Either way, it's yours - it's honest - and it's in great shape!
Yeah you maybe right. I may have been a little harsh. I appreciate the reply. I am glad I made the purchase. Looking around today online the limited selection does not look good at all in comparison after all. Yours looks pretty nice as well! Congrats!
Old 06-12-2021, 08:00 PM

https://imgur.com/a/A500Hnt

VG-F IBM with bayonet lug. Everything is nice and tight, most of the wear is in normal wear spots. Shoots great.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLimit View Post
M1 Carbine Winchester - Serial # 1163XXX - Late 1942 Production?
No, not 1942, your serial # was stamped on that receiver on the 22nd or 23rd of Jul 1943.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf1944 View Post
And here is the after: http://imgur.com/a/FvVCh0m

Overall, it cleaned up very well and I'm happy with it. I was worried about the rifling since I couldn't see it right away. Then I spent some time cleaning it, and the rifling popped out.

Last edited by Wolf1944; 06-12-2021 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf1944 View Post
And here is the after: http://imgur.com/a/FvVCh0m

Overall, it cleaned up very well and I'm happy with it. I was worried about the rifling since I couldn't see it right away. Then I spent some time cleaning it, and the rifling popped out.
Very sweet!
Old 06-13-2021, 01:49 PM

Default Winchester G-VG no lug

1.13m serial number, Winchester Type 2 stock w/ cartouches, Inland 2-rivet handguard, undated Winchester barrel, Winchester Type 3 slide, Winchester Type 2 trigger group w/ Win hammer and mag release, Winchester flat bolt, unmarked barrel band, IRCO Type 3 rear sight (staked unfortunately, heard some of the Midways were not), non-Winchester recoil plate (haven't taken it out to look for markings), Underwood buttplate.

Images are visible here: https://imgur.com/a/77v3Yoo I can add more if you want.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5USMC View Post
No, not 1942, your serial # was stamped on that receiver on the 22nd or 23rd of Jul 1943.
where can I find that detailed of info? some of my parts supposedly were superseded winter of 1942 but my sn is 1150xxx and all i saw was the start and end date for my SN range. GRRR trigger housing is an inland but the of the gun rest appears to be winchester including upper handguard. the finish on the trigger housing is a kind of neat brown. wonder what happened that the housing got to be inland I need ot look at the parts closer but the hammer is stamped "WA" as I recall
Old 06-13-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
where can I find that detailed of info?
The dates that Winchester applied serial numbers to receivers can be found in CCNL 337 as well as War Baby III.