Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2021, 10:08 PM

here is another date reference. it suggests mid july for my 1150xxx. (x's just because i can only remember the first 4 numbers.....) http://uscarbinecal30.com/forum/CCNL...Winchester.pdf
Old 06-13-2021, 10:32 PM

@terry_b, your serial # 1150xxx was stamped on that receiver on 12 or 13 July 43 need the last 3 numbers to tell which date. This is not the date the carbine was completed but rather the date the serial# was stamped.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:17 PM

OK, I picked mine up today, G-VG Winchester. About like others I have seen posted, mixmaster, some Winchester parts still in place. I have given it a quick cleaning, nothing major wrong, bright bore. Serial 1,161,XXX. I have not broken down the bolt or other nibbly parts, but here is the big stuff.

stock - Inland, IO flaming bomb in slot. low wood, but I cut.
handguard - IO Inland
Bolt - 35 S Standard Products
trigger housing - W Winchester
hammer - HI type 3 Inland
Mag. release - W Winchester
Slide - W Winchester type 3
Barrel band - type 1 unmarked prob Winchester
Safety - rotary HI marked, Inland?
Rear sight - IR Co. type 3

Overall, about middle of the pack for Midway carbines I have seen posted here and other forums. Was it worth the money? IMO, I would not pay $1,349.00 plus tax/FFL for it if I could have looked at it at a gun shop or gun show. I guess it is an "OK" deal, just wish I had gotten a dog leg hammer like so many of the Winchesters have had.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:28 PM

Good looking! Congrats!
Old 06-14-2021, 01:34 PM

All of those are typical mixmasters. They are getting premium prices.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:30 PM

I'm beginning to wonder of the grades were based mostly off the stock condition and outward appearance. Except for a few spots of rust in some of the pics posted and a few oddball other things like the swivel missing, or the filth, it seems like the metal condition has been pretty good and uniform across the grades.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeshaker View Post
All of those are typical mixmasters. They are getting premium prices.
Mine is all period correct Win except for the handguard, rear sight (obviously), recoil plate and buttplate, but even if it was a mixmaster, it would still be worth it because of the stock. A cartouched Winchester highwood is not something you find often and when you do they aren't cheap. Also know someone who got a G-VG that ended up being a 1.16 mil with seemingly all correct parts, though the stock is a little beat up.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
Alright fellas, post 'em here!

Mine's a NPM s/n 1947805 with a Marlin barrel, NPM slide, NPM trigger group, QHC sear, (I gotta check again) trigger, Winchester dog-leg hammer, Winchester bolt, Winchester extractor, NPM firing pin, Rockola I-Cut stock and Inland handguard.

I washed the stock and handguard to remove the cosmo and am waiting on the first light hand rubbed coat of BLO to dry. While that's going on I'm going to have to strip the metal of cosmoline. It is in every crevice, corner and hole.

When it's all cleaned up I'll post "After" photos.

Let's see everybodies here!
I finally got mine all cleaned up. Washed the stock then gave it a light, rubbed-in coat of linseed oil. For the metal, I found that good ol' Hoppes #9 was best for removing whatever the slick, shiny brown preservative was. Looks a sight better now.

After cleaning the metal it occurred to me that there is but the smallest signs of finish wear where the bolt and slide move over the receiver (likely from the action being hand-cycled) and no finish discolored or missing from the face of the extractor and bolt. Evidently this carbine was refinished (blued) post-war, and then never fired. The only marks are on the barrel from the barrel band, a small rub on top of the barrel where it appears to have stood vertically in a rack and small dings where it appears to have knocked against other carbines probably in transit overseas.

I know that Nat'l Postal Meter only made four of their own parts with the remainder being contracted out. The "N" marked parts on my carbine are the firing pin (NN), (2)front sight (N), (3)trigger housing(N and 9), and (4)slide (N and 3). So I want to find out if the remainder of the parts were made by normal contractors supplying NPM with the parts, or if they're just random.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:41 PM

Here is my near correct G/VG 116xxx WIN

(Sorry, did this on my phone and didn’t know how to resize)

Last edited by 89bsp; 06-14-2021 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:49 PM

My Fine graded NPM #1450999: (35 Wheelen I think you did great, even if I bumped you in the cart)

IO marked stock,
S HB handguard
Underwood barrel, 11-42
W recoil lug,
UN barrel band
N front sight
N IF operating slide
N Bolt
U Hammer

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L7fC4AHNXfGGZLKS6

Last edited by irish Rob; 06-15-2021 at 04:54 PM.