Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2022, 09:26 AM

If the article you mention is one by Bill Hansen, it had some errors in it, especially about the original owner, Will Levine. John Beard, Terrell Mullins and I did a much more (in my humble opinion) authoritative article on them in 2009 for "Man At Arms" Magazine.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:44 PM

Very nice stash of rifles.

My Remington 1903 is 3,306,766 with a 12-42 barrel. When I inherited it I donít think it had ever been shot. Whenever I take it out I alway say Iím only going to put a couple rounds down range. Always ends up being at least one box. By far my favorite rifle to shoot.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead751 View Post
Very nice stash of rifles.

My Remington 1903 is 3,306,766 with a 12-42 barrel. When I inherited it I donít think it had ever been shot. Whenever I take it out I alway say Iím only going to put a couple rounds down range. Always ends up being at least one box. By far my favorite rifle to shoot.
The "unshot" rifle is a bit of a myth. ALL rifles accepted by the US military had to be test-fired, and in most cases were used at least on a limited basis.
Old 01-29-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
The "unshot" rifle is a bit of a myth. ALL rifles accepted by the US military had to be test-fired, and in most cases were used at least on a limited basis.
Could be. All I know is the action was pristine, perfect finish on the bolt and everything was a bit tight until I ran a box through it.

Regardless. Still my favorite rifle to shoot and a very nice crate of rifles.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:13 PM

If it has a "P" on the stock, it was test fired.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:08 PM

Rick. Now that the case is opened, any idea what the owner plans to do with them? Also, you helped me out with a Red Star several years ago, thanks again! I hope whoever writes the next 1903 book includes a write-up about the Red Stars, the story about them is fascinating.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:09 PM

I read an article on these a long long time ago and was really interested in the historical preservation of these rifles. Man would I love to get my hands on one of those.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanJ View Post
Rick. Now that the case is opened, any idea what the owner plans to do with them? Also, you helped me out with a Red Star several years ago, thanks again! I hope whoever writes the next 1903 book includes a write-up about the Red Stars, the story about them is fascinating.
Actually, the crate was 12 was sold to a group of collectors. I'm not at liberty at this point to reveal the price, but it was substantial.
Old 01-31-2022, 05:26 PM

Default Personal Red Star

I got a Red Star in early 2016, with the letter of certification.. itís sn 3050417, with a barrel date of 1-42.. no grasping groove stock and without the lightening cuts..

Itís a beautiful rifle, as age, heath, and a planned house downsizing this year I probably will have to let it go. That will be an unhappy day.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:48 PM

I originally had three of them and two of them were eventually sent down the road with regrets. The last one will stay with me.