Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2022, 09:54 PM

For a while the Marines tried to stop using the sight covers, but they kept on damaging the front sight blades on rifles in training, so they reverted back.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
Very nice looking USMC rebuild.

The Additional gas escape hole actually started in the summer/fall of 1938 for the Marines. I have the exact date but I'm too lazy to go back and get it in the docs. But a Marine rep travelled to SA to learn how to do and take it back to the Philly Depot. The Marines also bought all the fixtures and tooling off SA as well to drill them.

Look in the mag cutoff of the stock and see if there is a 0 there.
Concerning the O or 0, is that an obvious marking indicating Overhaul or is it a manufacturers mark or simply a inspection/view mark?
Old 01-27-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
Most likely it would have had a tall one.

The Marines got rid of their #10 sights in 1936, to switch back to the #6 Army ones. But they retained their tall sight covers.

When you look at the pics of the M1903's after 1936 to the Canal, they almost always show the tall sight covers.

The numbered from sights from Sedgley started about 1940. I have the date but again I'm too lazy to go back and look.
Not to change the subject to much: Did USMC have and use 1903 on Guadalcanal??? I've heard many stories and films Marines using 1903's and M1's on Guadalcanal.What the true story ???
Old 01-27-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogan View Post
Concerning the O or 0, is that an obvious marking indicating Overhaul or is it a manufacturers mark or simply a inspection/view mark?
There is a “S” and a digit. The digit represents the last number of the year of manufacture. The “S” and “0” signifies Springfield in 1940. The Marines were the only ones to order grasping groove stocks from Springfield in 1940.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junnie View Post
Not to change the subject to much: Did USMC have and use 1903 on Guadalcanal??? I've heard many stories and films Marines using 1903's and M1's on Guadalcanal.What the true story ???
The Marine Infantry we’re issued M1903s during the Guadalcanal campaign.

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!

Last edited by RedSpecial; 01-27-2022 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:29 PM

I have a 1918 RIA (369495) that has a ‘29 SA barrel, Brophy hole and I believe the enlarged hole in the bolt, Keystone “C” stock, chiseled butt plate and a numbered Sedgley front sight, and it is closely bracketed by known SRS Marine rifles