Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2021, 11:06 AM

Default What color to replicate original 1903a3 finish?

I have three 1903a3 drill rifle receivers that I really want to get finished this summer. Two are Remington and the third is a Smith Corona. I have decided after a lot of reading that I am going to go with Duracoat and one of their newer parkerizing colors.

My guess is that the Grey Green color is my best choice but I welcome opinions before I buy.

https://www.duracoatfirearmfinishes..../110764553.htm

I am studying the air brush options as I plan to buy and use liquid because it’s cheaper in the long run vs the aerosol cans that need to be used w/n 24 or so hours of being activated. It’s a bit expensive though to buy several types and test so trying to get as close as possible on fist purchase.

Edit: I couldn’t decide even after staring at it for way too long so I ordered both the grey green and WW2 green as I think my 1903a3 is somewhere between the two. I may need to do a little mixing and I will finally get these receivers coated and built

Last edited by Quarterbore; 06-17-2021 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:07 PM

Any particular reason not to Parkerize them like they were when made?
Old 06-17-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHScott View Post
Any particular reason not to Parkerize them like they were when made?
It's a recovered drill rifle. Generally the welding won't take new finish like bluing or park. That's why many use duracoat on them.

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 06-17-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
It's a recovered drill rifle. Generally the welding won't take new finish like bluing or park. That's why many use duracoat on them.
Correct. The receivers have penetrating welds so to remove all the weld would require either some deep recesses around the magazine cut off or I would need to hire it out to reweld the area before regrinding to shape. So, a surface coating is just a lot easier and as a drill rifle the receiver doesnít have enough value to go crazy with.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:28 PM

I had a problem with a drill rifle I machined for a BM59. Had a weld in oprod channel that parked darker than rest of rifle. I dipped it in Lauers "blackening solution" for 10 seconds, parked and the whole receiver matched the darker color perfectly.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:13 PM

When I am going to start a spray painting job that needs to be done very nicely, I first run the spray on a tin can or two to see how it will look. Besides getting a look at the finish, I also get a feel for the paint and the sprayer. Knowing how far to have your nozzle from the work and how to move it takes a bit of practice every time.

The last thing you want to do is have to strip it all down and do it over. The trick is to go very lightly, and then later do a second coat. This prevents runs and over spray.

It is also important to check the wind and weather if you will be doing your work outside. Also, don't do it too late in the day, or bugs will be out to mess up your work!

Using tin cans, you can bake the finish just like you will do with your receiver. The cans also make nice pencil holders.

Last edited by navyrifleman; 06-17-2021 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:35 PM

Thanks! I spent a small fortune on a Badger 105 airbrush and the various adapters, hose, water trap etc and I want to put together a spray cabinet with an exhaust fan. Then the Dirac oat itself was a bit expensive.

It certainly would have been cheaper to hire 3 receivers out but I have a couple other projects that need doing too. I appreciate your advice and Iíll start with something less important knowing I can strip it if needed. Time to learn a new art form.