Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitten View Post
It is a new cmp stock, scrubbing is a possibility. I will swap op rods and report back.
If the op rod is rubbing on the stock, trimming the stock is generally the solution, not swapping op rods. But if you think it is rubbing there is a prescribed method to confirm that, I suggest doing that before swapping parts or cutting wood.

Troubleshooting a Garand is much like other complex machines. Describe the problem, and receive possible causes and remedies from prior experiences (so responders to the post).
If you try a 1 step at a time approach you will discover the exact cause.
If you throw many fixes at it at once you may never know the original cause, and spend more money and often wind up with more problems.

CMP's after the sale service reputation is pretty easy to research, 1 phone call to them and the problem will be solved.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 04-10-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
If the op rod is rubbing on the stock, trimming the stock is generally the solution, not swapping op rods. But if you think it is rubbing there is a prescribed method to confirm that, I suggest doing that before swapping parts or cutting wood.

Troubleshooting a Garand is much like other complex machines. Describe the problem, and receive possible causes and remedies from prior experiences (so responders to the post).
If you try a 1 step at a time approach you will discover the exact cause.
If you throw many fixes at it at once you may never know the original cause, and spend more money and often wind up with more problems.

CMP's after the sale service reputation is pretty easy to research, 1 phone call to them and the problem will be solved.

JH
Where do I find the info on rubbing the stock, and solutions? Iíll give that a try too.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:47 PM

A quick search will land many videos or articles, whatever method you like (I'm not a video fan usually).
Search for garand op rod rubbing and maybe garand tilt test.

Before you spend money or get out woodcutting tools check a few sources! Usually the better articles and videos come up first, but like everything on the internet it's worth checking.
The Garand has been around since that guy created the internet so the collective knowledge is easy to find.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 04-11-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Where do I find the info on rubbing the stock, and solutions? Iíll give that a try too.
It is rather simple.
1) Remove the Trigger Group.
2) Remove the OP rod spring and OP rod spring follower.
3) Tip the receiver up and down.

The bolt and OP rod should move freely open and closed under their own weight.

4) Then as a further test, you can reattach the stock and trigger group without the OP rod spring and follower.
5) Tip the receiver up and down.

The bolt and OP rod should still move freely under their own weight.

I would think that if it is rubbing enough to cause the rifle to not extract or eject, you should feel it rubbing as you slowly pull the bolt to the rear even when the rifle is fully assembled. I imagine the action of firing would be may time more forceful than anything you could achieve by hand. If you're not having to "kick start" the action to eject, it is my opinion that is under gassed to operate the action.

That is bad OP rod piston, gas tube, gas cylinder screw and/or blocked gas port.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:35 PM

I was able to take a slow motion video of my brother in law shooting it, and the bolt was not even coming halfway back before shutting again. I just now swapped the op rod with another gun, and will head to a friends to test fire in a few minutes. I am bringing a few spare op rods and cylinders to test a variety if this new one does not fix it.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:24 PM

It still would not cycle with a different op rod, so I swapped gas cylinders. That did the trick. I tried the new cylinder with both op rods and the gun functioned perfectly with both. Should I contact cmp about the bad gas cylinder or just let it go? What do those run?
Old 04-13-2021, 06:07 PM

Quote:
It still would not cycle with a different op rod, so I swapped gas cylinders. That did the trick. I tried the new cylinder with both op rods and the gun functioned perfectly with both. Should I contact cmp about the bad gas cylinder or just let it go? What do those run?
I would contact the CMP first and explain the issue. They might be able to help you out.

Sarco has used ones (in gauge) for as low as $85.00.

https://www.sarcoinc.com/m1-garand-g...r-serviceable/

The price seem to go from there to nearly $300.00 for New Old Stock (NOS)
Old 04-14-2021, 09:39 PM

Is the cylinder damaged or dirty? Tried cleaning it?

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=131198
Old 04-15-2021, 04:46 AM

Before committing to a replacement, did you retry the original? Just in case it was loose or misaligned or the removal/replacement cleared a port obstruction.