Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Talladega Marksmanship Park
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2021, 08:33 AM

Default Visiting TMP on a race day

How hard is it to get to TMP on a race day? I am headed to Alabama next week, and I was planning a a side trip to the South Store (now off, unless a miracle occurs) and the TMP. One option for the trip is a Sunday stop at the TMP, but there's a race at the Speedway.

How hard would it be to get to the TMP on the 25th? Would I be better off not trying the side trip? If I try it, any tips for getting to the Park while avoiding the Speedway?

Thanks,
David
Old 04-12-2021, 11:43 AM

I have been to the race a few times and seen the traffic (pre Covid), never tried to get to the store on race day. I would recommend approaching the store from the south and not from the north off of I-20, but expect traffic from any direction. Someone local may be able to respond with better tips.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP68 View Post
I would recommend approaching the store from the south and not from the north off of I-20, but expect traffic from any direction. Someone local may be able to respond with better tips.
I would be coming from the south anyway, and I can control my timing so that I'm (hopefully) coming in after the big rush. Definitely good advise, thank you.

It also helps that I realized that I can alter my trip this weekend inbound into Alabama to pass by TMP this Saturday as well. If I get my bolt actions this week, I can give the entire area the skip on the way home. OTOH, if stock is bad this weekend, I can make a second run the next week.

Thanks,
David
Old 04-12-2021, 06:59 PM

Pre-COVID I would suggest avoiding the TMP on race day (Sunday). I-20 between BHM and GA is generally a mess. All the roads other than the interstate and roads between I-20 and the track are 2-lane, and the race draws what, 50-100k?

This year I expect the traffic will be lighter. Light enough? I wouldn't know how to guess this year.

Saturday shouldn't be a problem for traffic; no idea how much the race adds to the TMP traffic.
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 04-21-2021, 09:20 PM

As I mentioned in another thread: Iím not interested in 6 mil Garands (I know, high heresy...), and I got my 1903A3 and Enfield for the year, so I didnít even ask if the TMP would be open this Sunday. I didnít get in until 4:15PM, and it was a bit of a rush to get me checked out before 5PM so the nice ladies wouldnít have to work too much overtime (they were already having to finish some other peopleís paperwork).
Old 04-22-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
and the race draws what, 50-100k?

This year I expect the traffic will be lighter. Light enough? I wouldn't know how to guess this year.
Including the infield campers there are usually around 150,000 or so fans there for the cup race. Grandstand seating is social distanced for this race and infield camping is limited to self-sustaining and enclosed campers so I doubt the total in attendance will exceed a third of the norm. Infield campers cannot come and go as the please and since any type of firearm is expressly forbidden in the infield the campers won't be buying at TMP. Gate admission to the race is, based on your seat spread out over time to prevent crowds from gathering so perhaps that will help prevent traffic issues. Every race fans knows that thieves breaking into parked cars during a race is always rampant at every race track so unless you have a hotel room available it's not a good idea to have anything of value left in your parked vehicle. Since it's a daytime race most folks will go home after the race. All that said I would not expect the race crowd to have a profound effect on TMP's wait time or stock of rifles.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
All that said I would not expect the race crowd to have a profound effect on TMP's wait time or stock of rifles.
The question was how hard it is to get TO TMP on race day.
What happens at the track/track grounds is of course not a factor, but as you must travel very close to the speedway to get to the TMP that remains the concern. As criminals tend to be attracted to large crowds and places where "stuff to steal" is; of course car burglaries are an issue but I doubt there will be enough of them to further affect the traffic. Related to the TMP? Well; if you park at the track and Uber to TMP maybe; I suspect no one will consider that.
I would expect a percentage of race attendees are also aware of the TMP (the many giant billboards at the track exits from the interstate are a clue); some will surely want to make the 7 mile drive to get some additional souvenirs.
Clearly CMP controls admission to the park so it won't be too crowded. Getting there; good luck.

I can tell you that residents of Birmingham and Anniston (and N AL) make a point to not travel I-20 in that area, or go to Talladega for any reason other than attending the race on race day.
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 04-22-2021, 04:57 PM

I just hope Hamlin's wearin his nice PJs

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor