Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2021, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickory hill bill View Post
Sold a couple thousand primers to a friend and was told by a retired LEO that I could get in serious trouble. Does anybody have facts about about legality of this transaction?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Retired LEO has NO clue what he is talking about.

Why would that be illegal? Does your state require a background check to buy primers?

Yeah. Do the Amish thing with this human. Shun him. You need to cross the street if you see him coming your direction. He has been huffing too many doughnut crumbs.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djryan13 View Post
Maybe LEO was thinking about black powder? It is illegal to resell it. Although I think gifting it is OK?
What law is this?

I have never heard of reselling BP to be illegal?

Unless your state requires logging of the original sale (mine does not), what would be accomplished by this?
Old 04-12-2021, 02:07 PM

I'm not an expert on firearms/reloading components law or regulations, and definitely not anti-LEO. But just because they are law enforcement officers, and carry a gun doesn't make them Law Professors or gun experts. LEOs are human and while I respect them greatly, they can't know everything about everything. I'm sure commercial sales to the public would have a bunch of regulations and licensing, but I doubt a face to face to a friend or relative transaction would be illegal selling a legal product....

Last edited by mikld; 04-12-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:11 PM

You have a good friend.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
What law is this?

I have never heard of reselling BP to be illegal?

Unless your state requires logging of the original sale (mine does not), what would be accomplished by this?
Per ATF website FAQ's:

May I sell black powder without a license?
No. Anyone who engages in the business of selling black powder, regardless of quantity, must be licensed as an explosives dealer. [27 CFR 555.41(b)]
Old 04-13-2021, 10:35 AM

one time or an occasional sale does not by any stretch of the imagination fit any definition of being engaged in business - contact ATF for a valid determination rather then a non professional opinion on that regulation -
Old 04-13-2021, 10:58 AM

FYI also illegal to sell reloaded ammo to your friends, neighbors,etc. My neighbor is a police officer and his dad a deputy. They know I reload and due to severe lack of ammo for practicing asked if I would sell them some ammo. I told them I am not licensed to sell ammo and don't have insurance to cover any accidents. They did not care but agreed with my decision.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
Per ATF website FAQ's:

May I sell black powder without a license?
No. Anyone who engages in the business of selling black powder, regardless of quantity, must be licensed as an explosives dealer. [27 CFR 555.41(b)]
That's the key. Engage in a business...
Old 04-13-2021, 11:46 AM

Well, I'm a retired LEO and never heard of such baloney. As mentioned previously there are specific rules and requirements for shipping powder and primers. But that's shipping...The issue is, individuals canít ship gunpowder or primers without a proper Hazmat certification and a direct contract with either UPS or FedEx (no USPS). Lots sneak it through. UPS is by far easiest to deal with.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikld View Post
That's the key. Engage in a business...
Gosh, I donít want to have to defend that in court. Seems too risky to me. ATF doesnít mess around. They could define you selling 2 lbs as being engaged in business.