Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2021, 05:09 PM

Default How to Clean a very dirty MilSurp

Hi all.

I recently picked up a No.4 Mk.1 Enfeild from the notorious Royal Tiger. I actually got one with a very good barrel and wood. The issue is it's just absolutely covered in dirt and just crap. Minimal or no cosomoline. The wood is dirty aswell.
How would I go about cleaning this thing? What should I do for the wood? I've seen Dawn dish soap and hot water rhen Linsead Oil after.

Any help, tips ans tricks are greatly appreciated!

Yours

Colin
Old 01-23-2021, 06:13 PM

Scroll down in this section of the forum, there are plenty of threads on stock cleaning.
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 01-24-2021, 03:06 AM

The majority of it is actually getting the dirt and grime off tge metal parts and getting it clean for operation
Old 01-24-2021, 10:31 AM

I always put all the metal parts into a bin and hose them down with a cleaning oil. Let them sit. Hose them down again. The scrub with a soft toothbrush and wipe off with a shop towel.

For wood, a witch's brew of hot water, dish soap, Simple Green, and 0000 steel wool. I've seen people suggest submerging the stocks in the bathtub or put them in the dishwasher, but I've cracked too many handguards doing that. Just scrub, the stuff will come off. When finished, allow to dry, and oil with linseed oil.

For bores, my favorite is wipeout foam. That stuff is amazing, though a little messy, a little stinky, and you don't want to get it on nice bluing or varnish stocks. Let it sit for several hours. Push out with dry patches. Repeat a couple times. That's the cleanest you'll ever get the bore. Nor brushes required.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:03 AM

Hi ID,

I have used Murrphy oil soap a # of times since it's made for wood.
As others ,mention a good old tooth brush is great for corners or hard to reach spots. BRUSH LIGHTLY
The type of tooth brush that works very well is one for false teeth, since it has a second shaped side. It might take a few cleanings to get it really clean. A few old T shirts cut up into squares will help a bunch!
I usually dry the stock with paper towels between cleanings.

If it's really a oil soaked stock then there are other solvents the guys mentioned. I have also put a oil soaked stock in a black plastic bag in the hot summer sun wrapped in paper towel or sprinkled with whiting which will help draw the oil out. I have a Mosin Nagant stock for years & some oil is still comes off it each summer, BUT it in much better looking shape LOL

I personally would be afraid to put a stock & hand guard in the dish washer. Ruin a stock & have the wife beat on me!
Lots of info here & some good stuff on You Tube also.

broom
Old 01-24-2021, 11:23 AM

For the metal it depends on what you want the end result to be.
A scrub with oil or hoppes will do a good job cleaning it and leaving some patina.
Me; I clean ,y milsurp metal all the way. Use a degreaser, so gunk engine cleaner is great (not carb cleaner) or mineral spirits, soak and scrub with a toothbrush, maybe some scotchbrite. A water based degreaser (purple power, citrus or simple green) will also work. Hot water helps.
I use an ultrasonic (no abrasive powders, just pour in some water based degreaser and water) on anything I can fit in it.
Metal must be immediately oiled after cleaning.
Plenty of threads.....

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread

Tags
cleaning, leeenfeild