Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2021, 09:56 AM

FYI - I was the member. Here's how this unfolded:

I posted a WTB on PAFOA looking for milsurp actions as projects for rifle rebuilds. I was contacted by a guy who said "his cousin" was looking to unload some stuff and I could contact him via email. No big deal - not everyone is cruising forums like I am. I got in touch, he asked what I was looking for, and he shared pics and a description of "his" field grade M1.

We negotiated a price (below market rate of course, he needed the money). I wrote up a bill of sale and asked him for a copy of his license. Some things got weird at this point and I decided to do a little digging on the rifle. I searched certain phrases in his description which led me to this post. The pictures the guy sent me were lifted directly from here.

I'm not sure there is a moral to the story. I checked in with RazorBurn to see if he had move to Montana and was really selling his rifle. Unsurprisingly, the answer to both of those questions was "no".
Old 04-10-2021, 11:47 AM

What made this a field grade rather than SG?
Clark Air Base, Philippines (1961-1964)
Old 04-10-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltgrabber View Post
What made this a field grade rather than SG?
Honestly I guess it was just the finish on it. I was and still am happier than a hog in slop to have it.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:28 PM

Every WTB ad I post online I seem to receive one or two PMs exactly like the one you described. Asking to contact some other person (usually some family member) that is looking to offload x guns for x reason. These people are more often than not newer accounts with limited post counts and no feedback. I never email whoever they are asking to email and instead ask for any feedback they might have on another forum and never get a response back. Its a good idea to report these messages if possible, you probably aren't the only person these people contacted that day about WTB ads.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:04 PM

Well. . .the guy signed a bill of sale and provided a fake license. As long as your relationship is in good standing, there are bonuses to being married to an attorney. She knows what phone calls to make. It will probably come to nothing, but I'll try to make it interesting for them.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winaguila View Post
Every WTB ad I post online I seem to receive one or two PMs exactly like the one you described. Asking to contact some other person (usually some family member) that is looking to offload x guns for x reason. These people are more often than not newer accounts with limited post counts and no feedback. I never email whoever they are asking to email and instead ask for any feedback they might have on another forum and never get a response back. Its a good idea to report these messages if possible, you probably aren't the only person these people contacted that day about WTB ads.
You have to be careful with those WTB adds. I had a similar situation on another forum....I had a WTB ad for a Kar 98k and a person contacts me saying he had what I wanted for sale. He sends me pics of the rifle and here the pics are one of MY own rifles that I had put up pics on earlier.He's telling me he has it for sale for a good prices and here it's downstairs in my gun safe ! I believe the guy may have been from Europe (UK )...and I said thre is no way you can get a rifle into this country from Europe without BATF involvement and he said Oh no, he has legal ways of doing this...I jerked him around for a month telling him about ATF Forms and Importers fees....and then told him to get lost...be very skeptical on offers to sell....
Old 04-12-2021, 03:13 PM

I filed a report with the FBI's internet crime people this morning. I doubt anything will come of it. . .but I'll post back if it does.