Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Brown View Post
That is really great! I don't recall seeing a front lug .22LR anywhere.
There are two different front lug .22ís out on the international circuit currently: Bleiker and Grunig & Elmiger. If you think nice collectible Garands or carbines are expensive, either a Bleiker or G&E will set you back between $8-$10k depending on accessories.

There was also a Time Precision action around the American benchrest circles in the 80ís. They shot real well but were a bear to load as there was no loading ramp.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:53 PM

Default Barrel manufacturer?

I am curious about bbl used , by you and others .

Have read that many are moving away from anschutz and buying Walther and Feinwerkbau rifles and that some buy anschutz and put diff bbl. on.

How long does a bbl last? ifrc some have said 20000, others 100000plus.

Read that some say glass in primer mix erodes bbl so now they wear out fast. Some others said primer has always had glass in mix.Eley primer now certainly has glass and maybe always did have glass.

Yes, am confused as to correct facts. Have not hit the inet to try to figure it all out.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyLifer View Post

I wish young engineers had to do something like this before going out into the workforce: design and then build their design. I learned more on this project than the four years of engineering school...
Amen brother!

Book learning is important, but if a body isnít taught to think and apply that book learning then the degree is just a piece of paper.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:48 AM

Sorry for not answering sooner. I don't look in on the Smallbore forum very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERX-M1 View Post
I am curious about bbl used , by you and others .

Our best guess is the barrel on the one pictured was a McMillan. It was old and unlabeled, but had "McMillan" written on it in grease pencil. There are so many good .22 barrel makers out there right now. There seems to be about a three year cycle of what barrel is hot. They get all the business and their quality goes down. Cycle repeats with the next best thing.

Have read that many are moving away from anschutz and buying Walther and Feinwerkbau rifles and that some buy anschutz and put diff bbl. on.

Anschutz is hanging on by a thread in the US, but world wide there has been a huge move away from them, at least at the higher level international competitors. Bleiker and Walther are probably the two most popular ones right now.

FWB has never had a very strong smallbore rifle following (air rifle is another story). There have been a few notable exceptions.

How long does a bbl last? ifrc some have said 20000, others 100000plus.

Back in the "olden days" there were legends of 250,000 rounds and more in a great barrel. Those days are gone. For peak accuracy I'd guess 10,000-20,000 is realistic. Some barrels last better than others, but there is no way of knowing which ones will go longer. I had one barrel put on in 2009 that lasted about 8 years and 55,000 with pretty darn good accuracy. That's the exception though.

Read that some say glass in primer mix erodes bbl so now they wear out fast. Some others said primer has always had glass in mix. Eley primer now certainly has glass and maybe always did have glass.

Yes, there is glass in Eley and Lapua primer. I'm not sure it has always been there in Eley. I think that's why the barrels lasted so much better back in the 60's and 70's.

Yes, am confused as to correct facts. Have not hit the inet to try to figure it all out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterbore View Post
I am curious what it weighs too. Very nice looking paper punch
With all accessories this rifle weighs about 16 pounds.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:53 PM

How did you do in the Olympics?
Old 02-28-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave tengdin View Post
How did you do in the Olympics?
Meh...30th in 1996 and 16th in 12.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:39 PM

Great story! I picked up an 1813 Anschutz from a CMP "bolt gun sale" a few years back. Paid $750 for it....was collecting Army .22s at the time. Put a Weaver 36X scope on it and it is an awesome toy! Love it.