Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2020, 08:16 PM

I think that Classic had only ONE Breda M1D and the price on that was something like $4000++, maybe higher......A little over $5k, maybe.

There was a Canadian vendor that had multiples of both rifles....here it is: https://www.tradeexcanada.com/conten...-wood-chest-10.

The rifle I bought was a standard Breda made Tipo-2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightRN View Post
Good Day,
To clarify, was Classic Arms selling the TIPO2 M1D variants from $2100 or were they selling the standard (non-sniper) for that amount?
Thank you
Old 12-15-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason60chev View Post
I think that Classic had only ONE Breda M1D and the price on that was something like $4000++, maybe higher......A little over $5k, maybe.

There was a Canadian vendor that had multiples of both rifles....here it is: https://www.tradeexcanada.com/conten...-wood-chest-10.

The rifle I bought was a standard Breda made Tipo-2.
Man, I'm getting excited reading through the description of those seven rifles on there. There may or may not be a shipment of 800 of these rifles coming into the country next year and I would be curious if there will be any exceptionally early USGI parts on them. I know it is a long shot, and most will be post-war or Italian manufacture, but you never know.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:24 PM

I will go with "kinda not", on the early parts question. Although the US supplied many spare parts, the whole deal didn't happen until the very late 1940s going into the 1950s. The Tipo-2 conversions weren't really done until the mid-1960s, so I would think that any early parts would have been replaced, by them. Italian production information is very sparse, too. Author Jim Thompson has interviewed Beretta and Breda officials and tried to squeeze all the information he could. There is a short section on the Italian rifles in his book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzachary View Post
Man, I'm getting excited reading through the description of those seven rifles on there. There may or may not be a shipment of 800 of these rifles coming into the country next year and I would be curious if there will be any exceptionally early USGI parts on them. I know it is a long shot, and most will be post-war or Italian manufacture, but you never know.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:22 PM

Lightbulb

Bump for obvious reasons.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Conroe View Post
Bump for obvious reasons.
I'm still miffed that my friend let these go and PSA ended up with them.

I would've pushed for them to be import marked on the underside of the barrel, or at least somewhere where it isn't an eyesore.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:03 AM

I'd rather have them with an import mark, then non at all.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal O'Peridol View Post
I'd rather have them with an import mark, then non at all.
Of course, I don't think anyone would disagree.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:11 PM

Well, I did it. Just ordered one of them. My very tolerant wife raised an eyebrow, but did say “well that SOUNDS collectible...”
Old 04-11-2021, 08:35 PM

Default Review of Breda M1D rifles while in Austria at the exporters

Good Day All,
I've been discussing the latest batch of Breda M1D with someone who was there and a contributor to the 2020 GCA article. Below are comments he requested I post for him so those who purchased a rifle have a better understanding.

"I was at the dealer in Austria less than a week when he received them – the company who got them was the one who was successful in auction to buy all guns the Italians sold off, so it was primary source and nothing cherry picked when I got there. The scopes and bolts were separate from the rifles (Italians always separated the bolts, don’t ask me why…), hence we had to check if we were able to match any of them back. Together with the owner I probably checked through 500 scopes, we separated them in serial blocks on different locations. Then we checked through rifles and I was able to match back a total of three rifles. I additionally took one mismatching since I bought two for myself and two for a friend. I kept two matching ones.

The ”grey blanket” dealer did NOT import the rifles he had for sale on GB himself. The rifles were imported by Foxtrot Lima, as visible by the importer markings on the rifle.

Kind Regards,

Georg"

I've sent a few more questions about quantities imported/exported. I'll post his response when it is received.
Regards,
Mike
Old 04-12-2021, 11:49 AM

Default Vintage Sniper Eligibility Revision

As I read the Vintage Sniper rules, the M1D Tipo 2 rifles are not eligible for CMP Vintage Sniper because the rules specify 30'06 for Garand.

It seems the Italian Tipo 2 rifles were only recently "discovered" by the Garand world. Since the 7.62 NATO rifles were officially used by the Italians, I'd think they should be allowed in competition next rules revision.

From what I have read, 7.62 may have a small accuracy edge over 30'06, but I wouldn't think it would be enough to really alter the competitive landscape.

What are the odds they will be added to the approved equipment list?