Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2021, 08:26 AM

Default 1903 Remington part ID

Working on my 1942 Remington 1903 and came across a part that I have no idea what it is and it serves no (current) function. Any schematic I have found does not show it.
The part itself is a thin piece of steel, about 1” long, and about 3-4mm wide with two round holes on both ends. This part is located on the bottom of the receiver between the trigger sear and mag well area. On one side is a pin where the hole for it actually extends up into the bolt channel. The is no hole for a pin in the reciever on the other side.
The part is quite easily removed and put back but I don’t see a function for it. Tried my best I could to described it as picture posting here is complicated. Anyone have any idea?
Old 03-10-2021, 08:47 AM

It is the bolt stop spring--holds a round nose pin into a detent on the bolt lug to prevent the bolt from falling forward. Good Shooting. ....
Old 03-10-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
It is the bolt stop spring--holds a round nose pin into a detent on the bolt lug to prevent the bolt from falling forward. Good Shooting. ....
Well thank you very much. Noticed it wasn’t present in my A3 which added to my confusion.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:53 AM

You are describing a “bolt stop”.
This was used in early rifles so that cavalrymen on horseback could single load cartridges more easily.
It held the bolt to the rear when rifle was held muzzle down.
There were two dimples on the bolt’s upper (or left) locking lug that would interface with the tiny projection in the left receiver rail. (There are TWO dimples on the bolt lug so as to allow interface when the cutoff is in either the “on” or “off” position.)
This was omitted in most of the Remington production of WW2, though very early Remington M1903 rifles do exhibit this part.
As a matter of interest, target shooters would sometimes either remove this bolt stop entirely, or grind down this projection, in order to “slick up” the bolt manipulation for rapid fire strings.
The O3-A3’s do not have this part.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:58 AM

Fascinating. Thank you.
A bolt made for this rifle (purchased from a member here) actually had these dimples in the lugs that I had no clue about.
Unfortunately for other unknown gun reasons I couldn’t get this bolt to fit and work in my 03. Really disappointed now! It came with a SA bolt body.