Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2021, 11:01 AM

Default To Clean, Or Not To Clean.

That is the question. I have picked up a number of correct; and collector grade rifles recently. Some of them still filled with cosmoline. My instinct is to clean them entirely, any reason anyone can think of not to?
Old 04-01-2021, 11:09 AM

I am not a fan of cosmoline, so I lien towards clean.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:12 AM

You will get 6 of one half dozen of the other for answers. Myself, these are obvious safe queens, I would leave the cosmoline on them. Would love to see some pics of these treasures though.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:21 AM

Agreed.
They are your rifles, so do what you want with them.
Some will tell you they must be left as-is. Others will tell you it's fine to clean them and enjoy them as you see fit (displayed as new, correct rifles, shot as new, correct rifles, whatever).

I had an opportunity to by a Mossberg M44 in the wrap at a great price. I kenw I couldn't own it and not take it out of the wrap, dist off the white powder, oil it up and take it to the range. I knew that I would then 2nd guess myself, maybe I should have kept it in the wrap for the next generation to decide.
I passed on it :-)
Seriously, make your own decision and go with it. It was built to be used, so there is that.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 04-01-2021, 11:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Is it actually cosmoline or grease? The Greek returns were notorious to have been greased. I have a Collector Grade that looks unfired that I assume is a Greek return(data sheet date meets the time frame) that is/was covered in grease around the bolt and trigger group. I've only cleaned off the excess grease that could be smeared either on the stock or contact with other rifles or my hands. Other than that I haven't removed any more or removed the trigger group.
This might sound strange, but the grease adds providence as to where it might have came from as a return. I don't believe a new SA left the factory with either grease or cosmoline.
This is just my personal preference and the rifle will not be fired by me.....FWIW

Last edited by Shomway; 04-01-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:00 PM

You are right Shomway, many of the Greek "collector grades" were slathered in Grease. I remember Leon in the SS pulling the trigger groups out of several and we could clearly see the build up of grease on the wood inside.
Many people mistake grease, especially old and dried grease for cosmoline. Especially after they clean it off, they are sure it WAS cosmoline......
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 04-01-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
Agreed.
They are your rifles, so do what you want with them.
Lol, thanks. The question really was is there any reason not to, I am aware I have permission to do as I wish.

Shomway, I think this does classify as cosmoline, but it absolutely could just be thick grease. Its looks, smells (smells like walking into Sarco when I was a kid) and has consistency is very similar to what I expect on Russian rifles. I don't get too picky about the nomenclature, the same way I call all tissues, "Kleenex".

From Wikipedia, I think what is caked on these rifles classifies as Cosmoline, even if it technically isn't:
____
Cosmoline is the genericized trademark for a common class of brown wax-like petroleum-based corrosion inhibitors, typically conforming to United States Military Standard MIL-C-11796C Class 3.[1] They are viscous when freshly applied, have a slight fluorescence, and solidify over time with exposure to air.
____

I think I will clean! As long as I am not hurting any future value, and it sounds like I am not. These are in a secure climate controlled area, and would love to see them the way they were intended. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2021, 02:03 PM

I’m a fan of C&Rsenel and Anvil (Mark Novak) on YouTube.
Mark is on a mission / crusade to get collectors to “conserve” their firearms. He just showed a heartbreaker when a high dollar collector grade firearm was disassembled to do the “differed maintenance” and under the wooden handguard was rust damage that immediately took the firearm out of the “shootable” realm and also tanked its collector value to near zero.
100 years ago someone got it wet and didn’t clean it.
We have no idea if the Greek or US Army armorer got grease everywhere it needed it. They probably did but until you do it you won’t know.
Just my $.02 in Monopoly money.

My feedback thread
Old 04-01-2021, 02:13 PM

I absolutely love C&Rsenel, I will check that one out.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:19 PM

Clean it. It does not preserve or enhance value. I have an HRA Correct Grade that came (in Jan. 2012) caked with Greek grease inside and out, cleaned it up to reveal a very cool ground-out (smoothed over) forging flaw on the top left fore receiver. Former Store Armorer Leon Rutherford convinced me to buy it because it had an LMR barrel.