Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2021, 06:40 AM

The disparity of the collector mindset here on the forum sure runs the scale. Some prefer to leave a rifle covered in grease. Others won’t put a grease pot in the butt stock for fear it will leak a little. Just an observation.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:10 AM

I would clean them and use modern light coat of oil.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
There are some people who would pay more for a correct grade in protective grease than one that is cleaned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
Exactly. I may agree or disagree all day long but there is clearly a market for "as original" firearms.
Not trying to start anything, I agree with both statements. Just pointing out that grease slathered onto and into a Garand is not "original," was not applied at the Armory. Typically a Greek application for those that came out of the South Store.

Last edited by Tennboy; 04-03-2021 at 02:38 PM. Reason: usage
Old 04-03-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennboy View Post
Not trying to start anything, I agree with both statements. Just pointing out that grease slathered onto and into a Garand is not "original," was not applied at the Armory. Typically a Greek application for those that came out of the South Store.
Agreed, Greek applied preservative ,but those correct grades are in better condition than the collector grades of previous years
Grease just shows it has not been fired since being returned from Greece and some people will pay a premium for that
Old 04-04-2021, 08:07 AM

Ripton, since you picked up a “number” of these clean up one and go from there. I just shot my SA correct grade from that era yesterday. What a great rifle. Glad I cleaned it and put some rounds down range. It just might be my new range rifle.
Old 04-04-2021, 05:21 PM

I picked out a 1903a3 from TMP a few months ago. It was nasty looking, had black stuff on the stock that almost looked like black paint. It had a "Dark Bore".
What attracted me to it was that the barrel was original 12-42 and had reading on 1-1.
Whether I helped or hurt the collector value I don't know, but I was really pleased with the way it cleaned up, had a tiger stripe stock underneath the black and it turned out after some research that it was one of the 1st months of production of a3s and from a block of numbers sent to the USN. A lot of people probably passed over because it was on the first look, and ugly duckling.
https://i.imgur.com/6CFg04V.jpg
Before
https://i.imgur.com/iN67KXl.jpg
After
Old 04-04-2021, 08:50 PM

I’ve had some great success using the “boil in H20, card, soak in Kerosene and then dry and oil” that’s removed light rust from blued parts. This is discussed in the YouTube post from the prior page.

Does anyone have a similar technique that’s recommended for parkerized parts? I have a WW2 M1 that is all correct but it’s both filthy and has “patina” that is clearly hiding some rust. I’ve cleaned it a couple of times and it’s no longer oozing reddish brown gacky oil but is not “clean” either. It’s very likely a Philippine return not that that matters to the problem.

My feedback thread
Old 04-05-2021, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTC29 View Post
I remember getting some Service Grades which looked very much like that. They were loaded with so much grease that the CMP would slip the rifle into a green plastic sleeve so that the grease wouldn't destroy the foam lining in the cardboard box (no hard cases back in those days).
I remember those green plastic sleeves also now that you mention it.

Still have a couple of those cardboard boxes and trying to decide if I should hang on to at least one of them.

NRA Endowment Life Member; Garand Collectors Association (GCA); Carbine Club; Ohio Gun Collector Assoc (OGCA) Life Member
Old 04-05-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Tom View Post
I picked out a 1903a3 from TMP a few months ago. It was nasty looking, had black stuff on the stock that almost looked like black paint. It had a "Dark Bore".
What attracted me to it was that the barrel was original 12-42 and had reading on 1-1.
Whether I helped or hurt the collector value I don't know, but I was really pleased with the way it cleaned up, had a tiger stripe stock underneath the black and it turned out after some research that it was one of the 1st months of production of a3s and from a block of numbers sent to the USN. A lot of people probably passed over because it was on the first look, and ugly duckling.
https://i.imgur.com/6CFg04V.jpg
Before
https://i.imgur.com/iN67KXl.jpg
After
Good decision!!
Old 04-05-2021, 07:02 AM

Can anyone cite proof that the greeks were the ones who applied the grease, and that it was not delivered to them in that condition?