Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzwei View Post
I remember those green plastic sleeves also now that you mention it.

Still have a couple of those cardboard boxes and trying to decide if I should hang on to at least one of them.
I have the green sleeve and original box for one.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:02 PM

I vote Clean them.

You canít enjoy looking at them if they are covered in grease. You canít completely review them if they are covered in grease, are they really correct and original? Or are there worn or non original parts hiding in the grease?

And I think most buyers would pay more for a rifle that they could more easily examine, and one that they would not have to clean themselves.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Tom View Post
I picked out a 1903a3 from TMP a few months ago. It was nasty looking, had black stuff on the stock that almost looked like black paint. It had a "Dark Bore".
What attracted me to it was that the barrel was original 12-42 and had reading on 1-1.
Whether I helped or hurt the collector value I don't know, but I was really pleased with the way it cleaned up, had a tiger stripe stock underneath the black and it turned out after some research that it was one of the 1st months of production of a3s and from a block of numbers sent to the USN. A lot of people probably passed over because it was on the first look, and ugly duckling.
https://i.imgur.com/6CFg04V.jpg
Before
https://i.imgur.com/iN67KXl.jpg
After
I like a stock somewhere between the before and after, but thatís just me!
Old 04-05-2021, 06:58 PM

Museums will carefully disassemble, clean and use preservative on the arms in their care. I always felt an obligation to to the same for mine in being a custodian of historic arms. I've found rust on the barrel under the rear handguard on some rifles. The risk of corrosion on unprotected steel (Parkerizing is not rustproofing) which would devalue the rifle seems most important to me.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:21 PM

I would use some kind of preservative on unprotected steel also but parkerzing is not unprotected steel
Old 04-05-2021, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I like a stock somewhere between the before and after, but thatís just me!
To get that look I would have had to do some staining and once I saw the Tiger stripe I didn't want to mess it up.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Not You View Post
Museums will carefully disassemble, clean and use preservative on the arms in their care. I always felt an obligation to to the same for mine in being a custodian of historic arms. I've found rust on the barrel under the rear handguard on some rifles. The risk of corrosion on unprotected steel (Parkerizing is not rustproofing) which would devalue the rifle seems most important to me.
This brings up an important point. Just because the greeks or whoever else slathered grease on the rifles, it does not mean that all metal surfaces are coated or protected from moisture.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:34 PM

A few years ago I bought some of the (Probably) Greek M1 bayonets from Dupage; price too good to resist. Today I decided to work on them; one needed the grips to be repaired.
I forgot I had this; I bought it in the same order: They had a USGI M1 bayonet in the wrap. If I recall it is probably not new, but inspected/overhauled and then wrapped by an arsenal but of course I can't remember.
I do wonder what's under there.....
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread