Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2021, 12:32 AM

I didn't purchase one, but I believe theM1Ds w/Scope +transport crate, were about $4,000 USD.

The Italian/Breda TIPO-2 that I purchased from Classic Firearms, was $2,100 USD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1963 View Post
How much did these cost if I may ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2021, 08:27 AM

I see a 2/53 barrel.

Now I am even more excited as I can hope mine has a 7/53 barrel, my birth month and year .
Old 04-08-2021, 05:33 PM

Got one.
The cardboard box on the outside didnt hold up and the FFL said it was open when they got it, the Green wooden case wasn't damaged.

The rifle is in excellent condition with very little wear and a dark greenish hue that doesnt show in these pics too well. The scope is packed in multiple layers of bubble wrap securely in the forward wooden compartment. The scope is very clear and in the same condition as the rifle.

Excellent condition from first looks. SA '53 barrel. Very happy.

Edit; The scope has a three digit serial number and the mount has no tag, BUT... It has the serial number etched on the mount where the tag would be. See the pic.

Quick pics

Old 04-09-2021, 02:54 PM

Default What is with the Barrel markings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhusker View Post
I see a 2/53 barrel.

Now I am even more excited as I can hope mine has a 7/53 barrel, my birth month and year .
Seems like the SA number is purposely removed. Are they shortned and rebored? Or are do they have inserts.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:38 PM

Default Italian M1D part number remarked

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLeader View Post
Seems like the SA number is purposely removed. Are they shortned and rebored? Or are do they have inserts.
Good Day,
As previously written about - "the forged USGI block was dismounted, the chamber area was turned down/shorten by 1/2" (typical TIPO 2 conversations) and the required block remounted. The original US designated M1D part number (manufactured as 30.06) was obliterated with scroll work and new markings added to the top of the barrel indicating the conversion was done in 1965."
To clarify, mine was done in 1965. Others might find a different date.
The barrel show no indication of being rebored and no inserts were used (e.g. US Navy Mod 0 style)
From a logistical accountability/financial standpoint, their (Italian) process makes since. There was no reason to tool up to make new barrels if they had an adequate supply of VG condition examples on hand and they were not going to produce thousands like the US did.
Regards,
Mike
Old 04-12-2021, 01:21 PM

Can't be happier with mine. A couple spots of rust on the scope and mount, but nothing I can't clean off. Mix of Breda and Springfield parts. Oddly the cheek pad has little to no padding inside, but it looks like it was never taken off the stock. As expected, the scope does not match the plate on the rifle. The box is in great shape considering its age. The there is a tag on the out side of the box with a rifle scope serial number. There is also a rifle scope and serial number hand written on the inventory sheet attached the inside of the lid. Neither of them match the rifle and scope in the box or each other.

https://imgur.com/gallery/5qgZe0U
Old 04-13-2021, 12:32 AM

I noticed the import marks are not silver. How does PW Arms mark its guns and end up with a matching marking?
Old 04-13-2021, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I noticed the import marks are not silver. How does PW Arms mark its guns and end up with a matching marking?
On mine the edges of the lettering are showing bare metal, but the inner lettering looks to have been colored or painted in some manner. Think black china marker instead of white.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:32 PM

Any idea what the three rotating wood tabs held in place in the case? One is on top of the scope compartment lid and two under the center of the gun on the bottom ?
Old 04-13-2021, 08:24 PM

Recieved mine today, transit case is in great shape, wood is good, bore is great, clear glass. Except for the scope not being matching it is hard to find fault with it.