Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2021, 03:12 PM

I can check the gas plug here, but will have to wait until I get home and can swap op rods to try that. Should the seller be expected to exchange op rods if this one does not function correctly?
Old 04-07-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitten View Post
I can check the gas plug here, but will have to wait until I get home and can swap op rods to try that. Should the seller be expected to exchange op rods if this one does not function correctly?
Possibly...I'd try it.

Do you have calipers and can measure the piston?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/654109364964194/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Old 04-07-2021, 03:23 PM

Not currently. I think I can pick some up fairly cheap though. The problem is, I donít remember which member I bought it from, lol. Since you canít keep many messages, Iíve deleted it.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitten View Post
Not currently. I think I can pick some up fairly cheap though. The problem is, I donít remember which member I bought it from, lol. Since you canít keep many messages, Iíve deleted it.
Stop by and I can measure the piston and gauge the gas cylinder for you. I think you should also measure the op rod spring. Straight and not kinked it should be between 19" to 20.5" in length. To be honest if you plan to shoot the rifle very much whether you think it needs it or not I'd recommend installing a new op rod spring as a out of spec op rod spring is the leading cause of cycling issues. I have a few new ones laying around and if you pick it up I'd sell you one at my cost. I think they were around $7 each.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:37 PM

I think when you swap that op rod back out ,Your going to be a happy camper ! And have a great day of shooting targets .That Op rod may have functioned fine in the guy who sold it to you,s gun and your gas cylinder may be worn just a little bit more than his and it will not function in yours.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
Stop by and I can measure the piston and gauge the gas cylinder for you. I think you should also measure the op rod spring. Straight and not kinked it should be between 19" to 20.5" in length. To be honest if you plan to shoot the rifle very much whether you think it needs it or not I'd recommend installing a new op rod spring as a out of spec op rod spring is the leading cause of cycling issues. I have a few new ones laying around and if you pick it up I'd sell you one at my cost. I think they were around $7 each.
You really don't want your spring below 19.5". Once it hits that length order a new one.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/654109364964194/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Old 04-07-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2171 View Post
You really don't want your spring below 19.5". Once it hits that length order a new one.
I agree but it's my understanding that the specs I quoted are accepted by most to be the absolute minimum and maximum lengths. Not the recommended lengths. If I get a new to me M1 that I plan to shoot as a rule I always install a new spring. Once I check everything else and properly lubricate the rifle I rarely have a failure to cycle event.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:32 PM

Can you replace the tab at the end of the op rod, or do you have to swap the whole op rod?
Old 04-07-2021, 09:05 PM

Yes,The piston and the tab can be replaced they can rebuild the whole op rod.
Cmp custom shop does it, also Columbus Machine can do it and a few more places.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:58 PM

It may just be cheaper to get another op rod. Iíll swap it when I get home and check. How would a spring prevent it from ejecting a spent round?