Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-07-2021, 03:12 PM
jwitten jwitten is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 162
Default

I can check the gas plug here, but will have to wait until I get home and can swap op rods to try that. Should the seller be expected to exchange op rods if this one does not function correctly?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-07-2021, 03:13 PM
Jeremy2171 Jeremy2171 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 1,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitten View Post
I can check the gas plug here, but will have to wait until I get home and can swap op rods to try that. Should the seller be expected to exchange op rods if this one does not function correctly?
Possibly...I'd try it.

Do you have calipers and can measure the piston?
__________________
Semper Fi....
USMC ret..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2136477496677483/M1 Garand Collector Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/654109364964194/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-07-2021, 03:23 PM
jwitten jwitten is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 162
Default

Not currently. I think I can pick some up fairly cheap though. The problem is, I donít remember which member I bought it from, lol. Since you canít keep many messages, Iíve deleted it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-07-2021, 05:25 PM
Ronwall Ronwall is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Commonwealth of Kentucky
Posts: 1,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitten View Post
Not currently. I think I can pick some up fairly cheap though. The problem is, I donít remember which member I bought it from, lol. Since you canít keep many messages, Iíve deleted it.
Stop by and I can measure the piston and gauge the gas cylinder for you. I think you should also measure the op rod spring. Straight and not kinked it should be between 19" to 20.5" in length. To be honest if you plan to shoot the rifle very much whether you think it needs it or not I'd recommend installing a new op rod spring as a out of spec op rod spring is the leading cause of cycling issues. I have a few new ones laying around and if you pick it up I'd sell you one at my cost. I think they were around $7 each.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-07-2021, 05:37 PM
Ma Deuce Ma Deuce is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Daytona Beach,Fla
Posts: 143
Default

I think when you swap that op rod back out ,Your going to be a happy camper ! And have a great day of shooting targets .That Op rod may have functioned fine in the guy who sold it to you,s gun and your gas cylinder may be worn just a little bit more than his and it will not function in yours.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-07-2021, 05:48 PM
Jeremy2171 Jeremy2171 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 1,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
Stop by and I can measure the piston and gauge the gas cylinder for you. I think you should also measure the op rod spring. Straight and not kinked it should be between 19" to 20.5" in length. To be honest if you plan to shoot the rifle very much whether you think it needs it or not I'd recommend installing a new op rod spring as a out of spec op rod spring is the leading cause of cycling issues. I have a few new ones laying around and if you pick it up I'd sell you one at my cost. I think they were around $7 each.
You really don't want your spring below 19.5". Once it hits that length order a new one.
__________________
Semper Fi....
USMC ret..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2136477496677483/M1 Garand Collector Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/654109364964194/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-07-2021, 07:26 PM
Ronwall Ronwall is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Commonwealth of Kentucky
Posts: 1,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2171 View Post
You really don't want your spring below 19.5". Once it hits that length order a new one.
I agree but it's my understanding that the specs I quoted are accepted by most to be the absolute minimum and maximum lengths. Not the recommended lengths. If I get a new to me M1 that I plan to shoot as a rule I always install a new spring. Once I check everything else and properly lubricate the rifle I rarely have a failure to cycle event.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-07-2021, 08:32 PM
jwitten jwitten is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 162
Default

Can you replace the tab at the end of the op rod, or do you have to swap the whole op rod?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-07-2021, 09:05 PM
Ma Deuce Ma Deuce is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Daytona Beach,Fla
Posts: 143
Default

Yes,The piston and the tab can be replaced they can rebuild the whole op rod.
Cmp custom shop does it, also Columbus Machine can do it and a few more places.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-07-2021, 09:58 PM
jwitten jwitten is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 162
Default

It may just be cheaper to get another op rod. Iíll swap it when I get home and check. How would a spring prevent it from ejecting a spent round?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.