Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2021, 10:16 PM

I don't think its the spring personally ,Could be a bad extractor on your bolt ,if thats bad it wont grab it and extract the shell.or the springs in your bolt s extractor could be bad,I had one in a M-1 Carbine break in half ,It gave me constant trouble off and on,I sent the gun in one day to have it refinished and when taking it apart the extractor spring came out in two pieces, Check in to your extractor on your bolt first id swap bolts out of another gun if it will headspace just to see if that will fix your problem if it does replace your extractor .Before id go spending a lot of money on op rods and stuff ,or if you have an extractor at the house just replace the one in your bolt and see if that will fix it ,usually when a gun is not ejecting shells its an extractor issue ,And its much less money, id try that first thats its main job is to extract the shell when they fail your shell does not come out.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Deuce View Post
I don't think its the spring personally ,Could be a bad extractor on your bolt ,if thats bad it wont grab it and extract the shell.or the springs in your bolt s extractor could be bad,I had one in a M-1 Carbine break in half ,It gave me constant trouble off and on,I sent the gun in one day to have it refinished and when taking it apart the extractor spring came out in two pieces, Check in to your extractor on your bolt first id swap bolts out of another gun if it will headspace just to see if that will fix your problem if it does replace your extractor .Before id go spending a lot of money on op rods and stuff ,or if you have an extractor at the house just replace the one in your bolt and see if that will fix it ,usually when a gun is not ejecting shells its an extractor issue ,And its much less money, id try that first thats its main job is to extract the shell when they fail your shell does not come out.
It extracts fine when done by hand though.. so I wouldn’t think the extractor would be the issue. But I have no idea really
Old 04-08-2021, 12:28 AM

Is the op Rod short stroking not going all the way back in a full cycle ,if the piston is bad or a worn gas system it will do that and causes it not to extract shells properly,or if the Op rod is binding or rubbing have you done a tilt test to see? If its functioning fine ,extractor issue.

Last edited by Ma Deuce; 04-08-2021 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Deuce View Post
Is the op Rod short stroking not going all the way back in a full cycle ,if the piston is bad or a worn gas system it will do that and causes it not to extract shells properly,or if the Op rod is binding or rubbing have you done a tilt test to see? If its functioning fine ,extractor issue.
It's not the extractor
https://www.facebook.com/groups/654109364964194/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Old 04-08-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
Exactly! Less resistance from the op rod spring equals a stronger and faster impulse which could be pulling the extractor away from the casing rim instead of pulling the casing out of the chamber, and note I said could, not will. The more I think about it if it's not a issue with the gas system components since the casings manually extract without issue there's a possibility the extractor spring could need replacing. Garand springs are cheap and easy to obtain so before I start replacing op rods and gas cylinder components I'd start with replacing op rod and extractor springs. $10 for both?
Its gas system related..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/654109364964194/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Old 04-08-2021, 04:39 PM

is it a new CMP stock? op rod could be dragging in the stock.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
Exactly! Less resistance from the op rod spring equals a stronger and faster impulse which could be pulling the extractor away from the casing rim instead of pulling the casing out of the chamber, and note I said could, not will. The more I think about it if it's not a issue with the gas system components since the casings manually extract without issue there's a possibility the extractor spring could need replacing. Garand springs are cheap and easy to obtain so before I start replacing op rods and gas cylinder components I'd start with replacing op rod and extractor springs. $10 for both?
First, I would check EVERYTHING before I replaced ANYTHING. If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it.

If the extractor pulls away and leaves the fired casing in the barrel, a weak op rod spring would not prevent the bolt from traveling far enough to try to load the next round. Result = stove pipe. Unfired round trying to be shoved into the chamber with a loaded round. As the OP stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitten View Post
To be more specific, I can pull the op rod back by hand to eject the old casing, and it loads the next round fine. Seems it does not have enough “umph” without cycling it by hand.
Not enough gas pressure to cause to bolt to move. No mention of a jam/stovepipe.

Last edited by Fenris_Bane; 04-09-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:02 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by migunshooter View Post
is it a new CMP stock? op rod could be dragging in the stock.
I experienced this situation once. Fired first round and then no cycle for the second. After checking everything that I saw published, I then realized my op rod was dragging ever so slightly on the stock. A light "polishing" of the affected area and a smear of grease was the cure.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitten View Post
I had a chance to shoot one of my garands today for the first time. The spent casings were not ejecting. From a quick research, it seems it could be a gas piston problem. Anything else? I’ve cleaned and greased it. I tried the Ammo bought from cmp, and garand specific ammo I bought elsewhere as well. It s a May 1945 gun with original barrel. Because of this, I bought a correct uncut oprod from someone on the forum. I may try switching op rods and seeing if another will work, but I am out of town so cannot yet.
Re-assemble it as the CMP sent it to you - and shoot it.

Then, either leave it alone, or send it back to the mother-ship for remediation.

GR
Old 04-10-2021, 01:39 PM

It is a new cmp stock, scrubbing is a possibility. I will swap op rods and report back.