Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2021, 09:17 AM

Default Restoring a Mixmaster Q

Hopefully the purists won't lose their minds on this one. . .

Q: If I was going to repark/rebarrel the rifle and put it in new lumber, is there any real advantage to buying a service grade over a field grade?

I've been collecting beat parts to build "like new" rifles with new lumber/barrels. (think CMP special with a - hopefully - lower price tag) In general, I'm looking for stuff that is functional but could stand to be refinished/rebarreled to be an excellent shooter. Having a "new" rifle is just a personal preference of mine that I appreciate is not shared by everyone. Collectible value is extremely low priority.

I've had lousy luck finding garand receivers for my project stash and they're approaching the price of a field grade rifle on that site where crazy people overbid on things. It seems like getting a rifle or two from the CMP as seeds for my projects is the way to go. I'm just not sure what to buy.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:23 AM

It sounds like a special grade is what you're looking for, but they seem to be sold out at the CMP. I suppose put up a WTB thread, though I do not know what they are going for these days on the secondary market. Still might be cheaper than trying to piece one together.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:26 AM

Ha - this is going to sound odd, but I'm not looking to just buy the complete piece. That's too easy. I'm looking for the project. The fitting, the refinishing, the rebarreling, the process itself is fun. I've long figured out that half of the firearm hobby fun for me is the building/fixing. I won't do anything that you might consider overly dangerous. . .but I am one of the more ambitious Bubbas you're going to meet.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:31 AM

That's totally cool, I get it! I built my one and only AR platform rifle from the ground up, took me 3 years, lol! But I put the best parts I could get and built one fine firearm

Good luck in your journey!
Old 04-10-2021, 09:36 AM

Yeah I kinda have similar goals here. . .but I'm not really sure what "best parts you can get" means for an M1. Is it all NOS parts other than the receiver? Is it whatever comes in the mail from the CMP because the things mostly fit together?

Ultimately, if I could just buy a receiver and stick it in the safe until I can come up with a budget for the other pieces, I would. . .and maybe the CMP lead time on shipping is almost is good. It's really just a question of how well the field grade parts fit together when they arrive. . .and whether there is a big difference between a field grade receiver and a service grade receiver for this kind of project. If it's just finish and barrel wear, the choice is easy.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:28 PM

If you want the best quality/least wear receiver and other parts, get a service grade. If you want to refinish more slightly worn parts, get a field grade. All of the parts from either grade will fit together on your upcoming build, it's just that the field grade parts will have more wear on them and receiver could have some pitting as the description says. Have fun with your build.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:35 PM

If you could visit one of the stores, personally, you might find a Rack Grade that would suit your purposes. But, remember, the lesser grades may have pitting, below the wood line and on the underside of the receiver. A Service Grade rifle has been the best value for those wanting a very good rifle, with a decent barrel and cosmetics for shooting. True, with stripped receivers almost approaching Field Grade price, on auction sites, building a project is (and has been for a while) almost cost prohibitive.

You can try other forums.....post in the "Want to Buy" sections. You could also search "www.riverofguns.com".....it is a gun forum search engine and is how I found the Beretta receiver for my BM59SL build.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:39 PM

The problem with your plan is field grades risk pitting and likely won’t come with new walnut and service grades will likely be too nice. Out of about ten service grades I have seen between myself and friends over the last year, only one would have been a good candidate. The others had original barrels in fine shape and/or were arsenal rebuilds that had hardly been used or not used at all.

I would go the service grade route. If it was too nice or had a USGI stock, I would do some trading locally of some of the parts with friends to get what I wanted.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:47 PM

It might be that this project is just gonna end up further down on the list. I can always focus on the others for which parts are more readily available. . .and if the opportunity comes up, I can stash a service grade or two and reconsider later.

Thanks to everyone who responded.