Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM

Default A good article on the M1

Certainly nothing new to the experts but it looks to be well written.

https://www.thearmorylife.com/battle...arand-in-wwii/
Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM

Good article,,,

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

Well written fluff. Not even a hint at a source to support his claims. For those who lack the ability to apply critical thinking, his use of the indefinite pronoun 'many' when referring to units gives away the game - an indefinite pronoun is a way to characterize or summarize data. You can't characterize data you haven't seen. He's making it up in the eight instances.

Laughably, he describes NCOs and field officers issued carbines swapping them out. Does he have any idea what 'field officer' means? Does he have any idea how many varied NCO MOS there were? Of course not. He has no data to back up such a sweeping claim because no such data exists. He either made it up or generalized from a couple of anecdotes. Sounds authoritative to the gullible reader.

If this was a 10th Grade research paper in a history class, the teacher would run out of red ink pointing out the lack of sourcing and leaps in logic.

Popular history is for entertainment, not enlightenment.
Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM

Good read, though it repeats many of the articles written about the M-1, I never get tired of reading them, and the photos are a plus.

Thanks for posting

BR
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM

Unlike Playboy, I enjoyed the pictures more than the article.
Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstflabn View Post
For those who lack the ability to apply critical thinking, his use of the indefinite pronoun 'many' when referring to units gives away the game - an indefinite pronoun is a way to characterize or summarize data. You can't characterize data you haven't seen. He's making it up in the eight instances.

If this was a 10th Grade research paper in a history class, the teacher would run out of red ink pointing out the lack of sourcing and leaps in logic.
Well said sir.
It's one thing to post on a forum. When it's professional there is no excuse. My professional life involves a great deal of writing (like that was a question....) and all I do is peer reviewed, and begins and ends with supporting conclusions and proper references. Should a magazine article look like a 10th grade paper with footnotes and use APA or MLA style? Of course not, but "many", riiiiiight.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM

This is an article with generalized information about the use of M1 Garands in combat. I did not see anything in the article that has been proven false. Looks like a couple of guys are thinking that it should not have been written unless exact numbers were provided and it was completely documented where each bit of information was found. There is a big difference between an "article" and a "scientific research paper". I guess some people have a need to show us lesser people, and those of us who lack the ability to apply critical thinking, how smart they are.
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimit View Post
This is an article with generalized information about the use of M1 Garands in combat. I did not see anything in the article that has been proven false. Looks like a couple of guys are thinking that it should not have been written unless exact numbers were provided and it was completely documented where each bit of information was found. There is a big difference between an "article" and a "scientific research paper". I guess some people have a need to show us lesser people, and those of us who lack the ability to apply critical thinking, how smart they are.
Not sure who said those things; I certainly didn't.
The author used multiple generalizations which are indicative of an article based off memory and shop talk rather than any references whatsoever.

Seriously, that writing style is what is used on Facebook and gun forums, and is perfectly normal and fine in those venues.
But in a for-profit (or non-profit) publication, it's substandard, even though it "reads well". It doesn't meet any journalistic standard (well, in retrospect it seems most journalists don't seem to have standards....).

Do I need to clarify my last statement, as you see some guys stating the opposite of what I said, and I don't see those guys in this thread.
This is a discussion forum, there is no need to agree with everyone's opinion but I prefer if you don't distort mine.
Critique of firearms references is a common topic here and opinions vary on most publications it seems (except Brophy; he is an authoritative source!).
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread