Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2021, 01:30 AM

Default Service Rifle woes

Im sure this has been beat to death but forgive me...not trying to stir anything up

Ive always wanted to get into competing in the service rifle category. The rules change allowing optics has basically killed that dream for me. I have zero desire to use optics or compete against those that are. Plenty of games for that...

I understand i can shoot in the various Garand/m1a matches or vintage matches etc...but are there any categories for the A2 iron sight guys seemingly left behind in 2015 with the changes?

Im considering building a NM A2...but not if I can't use it to compete against other similarly equipped shooters.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quak View Post
Im sure this has been beat to death but forgive me...not trying to stir anything up

Ive always wanted to get into competing in the service rifle category. The rules change allowing optics has basically killed that dream for me. I have zero desire to use optics or compete against those that are. Plenty of games for that...

I understand i can shoot in the various Garand/m1a matches or vintage matches etc...but are there any categories for the A2 iron sight guys seemingly left behind in 2015 with the changes?

Im considering building a NM A2...but not if I can't use it to compete against other similarly equipped shooters.
yes, it's called Modern Military, but it's a 200 yard match, not XTC. No separate category for irons in service rifle. The Games rule book has the modern military rifle rules.

Old 11-23-2021, 11:20 AM

Just shoot irons and compete against yourself and don’t worry about what others are doing. It’s not like we are getting paid to win (well most of us anyway).
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
Old 11-23-2021, 11:39 AM

If youve got younger than 40 year old eyes, then you wont have any problems shooting irons scores comparable to the optics guys in Service Rifle. If not, then the optics allowance was basically made for you.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:46 PM

A2s still show up on the High Power line every so often.

If you're not concerned about chasing points, then go for it.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:34 PM

You won't be at any significant disadvantage shooting irons. Scopes haven't made scores magically go up and really people were shooting 780 790's with M1a before AR's took over. Most really good iron shooters shoot scope really good ..poor iron sight shooters are poor scope shooters.

I miss iron sights and still shoot my A2 in matches occasionally and still shoot about my avg scores if the light is right.

Last edited by lite-box; 11-23-2021 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:51 AM

Heard this said on the line at Camp Perry by an older Distinguished Rifleman:
"A scope will help you see better, a scope will not help you shoot better."

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler, USMC. He knew war and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. You can find it online.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:26 AM

I shoot with the Marine Corps League on a 200 yard or reduced 200 yd match irons only. For kicks I brought my service rifle and a A2(ish, proper triangular hand guards) I shot almost the exact same score. Better offhand with the irons. .
The problem is with old eyes at 600. Its blurry target, blurry front and blurry rear. Not saying I couldnt scare the heck out of it, but if I want to put up a score, irons dont work @ 57yo.
Old 04-08-2022, 06:56 PM

As a data point, you can compare the current cutoff points for gold, silver, bronze for MMU vs MM (30 shot match). Id assume that pretty much all the modern military unlimited shooters are shooting with optics rather than just being in that class for a weight issue.

MMU
Gold 292
Silver 286
Bronze 275

MM
Gold 287
Silver 279
Bronze 270
Old 04-09-2022, 07:56 AM

My .02 worth- going to optics my scores went up about 10 points on the AR. I can still get into the 770s with irons on 30 cal. I'm 62 now. If irons are what you like, run em!