Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2022, 09:26 AM

Default 1959 NM Looking for Info/ have you seen?

Good morning. I have not had much success posting pic's but can e-mail them. A 1959 close to unused since built 5.8 mill Springfield NM Some time's referred to as intermediate between Type 1 and Type 2 NM. I have another one that was purchased by a gentleman in early 1960 and they are identically built and in same condition. This one has an "H&R" 5-52 barrel marked the same as the Springfield except the H&R barrel has "ordnance flaming bomb" instead of stars & eagle defense acceptance stamp. Markings as follows left to right upside down T / upside down P / Greek cross/ HRA D6535448 5-52 RS9/ upright P / small M/ ordnance flaming bomb /. NM on left side barrel inscribed (not stamped) between front sight and stacking swivel Any info appreciated I can email pic's on request mjacksonmoraine@att.net Thank's guy's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by WAGON; 01-13-2022 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:48 PM

what is it you are asking??
Old 01-13-2022, 07:21 PM

Orlando, I believe he is asking if anyone has seen an original 1959 NM gun with an H&R barrel used during the build...

Mike, any NM paperwork?
Old 01-14-2022, 05:37 AM

NM barrels can also be HRA ,LMR. I havent seen barrels inscribed NM,only stamped . To me thats a red flag

Last edited by Orlando; 01-14-2022 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:56 AM

The gentleman who own's it is in his 80's and it belonged to his brother who died in 1982. The wife wanted no firearm's in house so he took it to store it. He did say he remembered a packet with it and might be in box's he has----I did not push the subject. I looked at it basically unused I took some pic's of barrel marking's. Went back home and compared (by memory) to my 1959 and all same except my barrel is springfield and has star/eagle stamp instead of ordnance flaming bomb. I asked if he could allow time for me to check with CMP (request sent) and he said fine as no one else had ever seen it. It was dry and covered with dust from rifle case it was in. I told him I would give him a fair price as it appears to be correct 1959 NM which he had no idea.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:30 AM

I too have seen HRA and LMR barrels NM barrels but have only seen them NM marked by hand stamping in the barrel channel...
Old 01-14-2022, 09:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

I believe that early an HRA barrel would have been from the HRA contract for replacement barrels, before HRA built rifles. I'm guessing, but because it was a replacement barrel it received the "flaming bomb" stamp rather than the cross cannon or later DAS acceptance stamp. Since I've only seen SA barrels that have the "T" (targeted) marking, I assume this barrel was mounted at SA for the NM program. As Orlando said, the inscribed NM rather than stamped raises some questions.....
FWIW
Old 01-14-2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
I believe that early an HRA barrel would have been from the HRA contract for replacement barrels, before HRA built rifles. I'm guessing, but because it was a replacement barrel it received the "flaming bomb" stamp rather than the cross cannon or later DAS acceptance stamp. Since I've only seen SA barrels that have the "T" (targeted) marking, I assume this barrel was mounted at SA for the NM program. As Orlando said, the inscribed NM rather than stamped raises some questions.....
FWIW
Flaming Bomb stamp disappeared in 1953 during a transition to the Ordnance stamp. The Flaming Bomb was ordinary production for 1952 and early 1953 HRA production. When HRA production was finished barrels and other parts were turned in to Ordnance for compensation. When SA needed NM barrels they gauged anything they had in SA Stores and other storage locations. HRA NM barrels are scarce but not that unusual depending on how long you have been looking at NM rifles.

Engraved NM barrels are generally late NM depending on when they were gauged.

Old 01-14-2022, 05:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Thanks Dave!!! Had a feeling you knew the answers....
Old 01-14-2022, 05:44 PM

Good evening I worked today then went thru your information I asked him (owner) if I could swing by and check something and did. Went home and checked ones there On 4 different NM's his (intermediate) s/n 58135XX it is an etched NM not parkerized inside my 5816314 (intermediate) sold 1960 etched not parkerized inside also can see a stamped NM and star that have parkerizing in them my 6089156 type 1 has stamped NM & star my 5953558 type 2 ( just bought from member Kenny) sold out of Rock Island 1970 etched NM parkerized in NM All NM are same size and you can see etching tool marks in letters on all of them. Hope this help's Thank you all You are wonderful source of infomation we can keep discussion going as I am learning A LOT !