Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2022, 12:03 PM

Default Light loads for fire forming?

or standard loads?

Finally got the hang of converting .30-06 to 7.7mm Japanese and since there is apparently no case gages made for it, I have to use the rifle to see if the cases will chamber.

So use light or standard charges for fire forming?
Old 01-14-2022, 12:18 PM

My opinion would be standard charges; I have done quite a bit with light loads in bottlenecked cases, and there is a tendency for the case to get shorter.
Lots of debate on that result and the potential causes; just my opinion based on my experience plus reading specifics from highly-competent & technical posters, but I'm confident with those conclusions. YMMV.

Do you do the one layer of masking tape around the base trick to keep the case centered, for the initial forming ?

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 01-14-2022 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
My opinion would be standard charges; I have done quite a bit with light loads in bottlenecked cases, and there is a tendency for the case to get shorter.
Lots of debate on that result and the potential causes; just my opinion based on my experience plus reading specifics from highly-competent & technical posters, but I'm confident with those conclusions. YMMV.

Do you do the one layer of masking tape around the base trick to keep the case centered, for the initial forming ?

No tape, but I've only done 2 cases so far. Both the Lee pacesetter and my CH4D doesn't get the sholders correct to chamber so I had to use a .308 die to bump it back. So far, all are the correct length and look good sholder wise.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Graf's has PPU fresh 7.7 brass. I would sure buy that before I went through the trouble of fire-forming.

I got PPU 6.5 Japanese brass from them. Very good stuff.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 01-15-2022, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolarco View Post
Graf's has PPU fresh 7.7 brass. I would sure buy that before I went through the trouble of fire-forming.

I got PPU 6.5 Japanese brass from them. Very good stuff.
82 cents a piece, I'm doing the conversion.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:11 AM

Have you thought about using the cream of wheat method? I've used it to make 338-06, 280 rem, and 25-06 out of commercial 30-06 brass, uses less powder and no bullets. If you get the shoulder in the right place it work like a charm. Can be messy, A compressor is handy to blow out the action as you go along
Old 01-16-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashmonster18 View Post
Have you thought about using the cream of wheat method? I've used it to make 338-06, 280 rem, and 25-06 out of commercial 30-06 brass, uses less powder and no bullets. If you get the shoulder in the right place it work like a charm. Can be messy, A compressor is handy to blow out the action as you go along
I have a 338-06 Ackley. I just run a 338 expander into a 30-06 case, and fire with a normal load. No mess at all, no compressor necessary.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 01-17-2022, 02:19 PM

Going from .30-06 shouldn't require "fire forming", as I understand it. I simply run the .30-06 case (well lubricated) into the 7.7mm jap die and then trim the neck back to proper length. I then load a low power recommed starting load for a 160 grain cast bullet and shoot them through a rifle with good headspace.

To me, "fire forming" means blowing out a case such as a 300 H&H to 300 Wetherby, a case with a neck closer to the mouth. For that sort of project, I load between 5 and 10 grains of Bullseye in the bottom of the case and then fill it the rest of the way with Wheateena or corn meal, leaving enough room to fill the neck with a soft wax plug. Shooting those blanks in the gun of the desired new chambering causes them to take on the new dimensions. Follow that with micrometer checks and neck trimming.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post
Going from .30-06 shouldn't require "fire forming", as I understand it. I simply run the .30-06 case (well lubricated) into the 7.7mm jap die and then trim the neck back to proper length. I then load a low power recommed starting load for a 160 grain cast bullet and shoot them through a rifle with good headspace.

To me, "fire forming" means blowing out a case such as a 300 H&H to 300 Wetherby, a case with a neck closer to the mouth. For that sort of project, I load between 5 and 10 grains of Bullseye in the bottom of the case and then fill it the rest of the way with Wheateena or corn meal, leaving enough room to fill the neck with a soft wax plug. Shooting those blanks in the gun of the desired new chambering causes them to take on the new dimensions. Follow that with micrometer checks and neck trimming.
What you are doing is fire forming. The 7.7 has a larger diameter above the web than the 30-06. Thus, the 30-06 case must be blown out to fit the new chamber.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 01-24-2022, 04:03 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to VinnAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post

People just like to say "fire forming"...you're method is certainly workable and what I would do, or more to the point, how I convert 5.56 to Blackout.
Different rifles but there's no reason I can see to "fire form" anything.